Just to rub salt in

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Just to rub salt in

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Greg bird is in the Catalan Squad, Despite an 8 month Prison sentence hanging over his head, I wont go back on my stance that Hock should be banned for taking drugs, however its a bit of a p*ss take that this man has pyshically damaged another human with a weapon and yet he is free to play, and Hock took some happy stuff presumably only damaging himself and he is not. Plus its interesting to see how the law of the land is "innocent until proven guilty" i.e Bird can play till his appeal either fails or is succesful and in the law of RFL Hock was guilt until proven innocent.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Re: Just to rub salt in

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19 85 wrote:Greg bird is in the Catalan Squad, Despite an 8 month Prison sentence hanging over his head, I wont go back on my stance that Hock should be banned for taking drugs, however its a bit of a p*ss take that this man has pyshically damaged another human with a weapon and yet he is free to play, and Hock took some happy stuff presumably only damaging himself and he is not.
Well the use of hard drugs does damage a lot of people other than just the user, his family are affected but it is wider than that. The manufacture and supply of drugs is an industry that is rife with violence, death (e.g. "mules" having the bags they swallow burst) not to mention murder and users perpetuate the industry.
Plus its interesting to see how the law of the land is "innocent until proven guilty" i.e Bird can play till his appeal either fails or is succesful and in the law of RFL Hock was guilt until proven innocent.
That is a very interesting point. Hock is now IMO guilty as charged given the B sample has proved positive but given he only got suspended on 22nd June (I think) and the B test was done on 30th June with results out this week in practical terms it doesn't make a great deal of difference he was still technically innocent between those dates.

As a point of principle though there does appear to be double standards here.

And of course were a players B sample to prove negative the rules say he is innocent so even though this would be unlikely to happen both player and club wold have suffered the ban.

There is also an appeals process and I think I am right in saying the player remains suspended while that process runs its course which is of course exactly the opposite of what is happening with Bird.

We also have the anomaly with Bird he was refused a working Visa here but is allowed to come into the country and play for another team that is part of the EU.

I am sure if you pointed these things out to the RFL they would say it would be impossible to ban Bird as he is in effect, because the case is under appeal, innocent until proven guilty which is fair enough but then why doesn't the same apply to players like Hock?

Dave
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Dave, I have not checked back but I seem to recall he has appealed the sentence not the conviction which means he is guilty. Only the sentence is in dispute. Things re these players will only get better if the bodies get together and make it a world ban. Tecnically Hock could move down under to serve his two years if the standards were the same. Jim
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Not really Jim, as it's not the RFL that's banned Hock, it's WADA (World Anti Doping Agency). He's banned from any sport, anywhere in the world for 2 years.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Therein lies the issue, WADA are tough, the RFL are pathetically soft. Hence, you get inconsistency and hypocrisy.
fred_flintstone

Post by fred_flintstone »

Same with Cockayne. A two year suspended sentence for kicked the sh*t out of someone then going back for some more. The RFL deem him fit to represent the game whilst Hock sits out two years for a snifter of charlie. Not saying Hock's punishment is wrong but the RFL really need to pull their Yorkshire heads out from their chufter's and start bringing some proper discipline to the game.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

With the RFL is filters through at all levels, disciplinary committee right through to compliance.

I will give you another farce involving Hock and again I am not condoning him but did Hock received 8 matches for tugging the shirt of a referee.

Howell was given 3 matches for his assault on Tomkins. The part I find hilarious is that his suspension was only 3 because he did not break Tomkins jaw, cheekbone etc etc. What on earth that has to do with anything God knows. Intent is the key. Secondly, Howell according to the RFL had a very good record. Erm ???
Super League six banned after mass brawl between Catalans and Harlequins By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 8:20 PM on 15th July 2008
Six Super League players were banned by an RFL disciplinary tribunal yesterday following the Catalans-Harlequins game on Saturday.

Harlequins prop Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook picked up a three-match ban for his part in a mass brawl at the final hooter. Team-mates centre David Howell, full back Rikki Sheriffe, second row Michael Worrincy and centre Tony Clubb were given onematch bans.

Catalans stand-off Adam Mogg was also banned for one game for 'punching'. Mogg's team-mate Casey McGuire, escaped with a £300 fine.
Hardly a model professional
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

cpwigan wrote:With the RFL is filters through at all levels, disciplinary committee right through to compliance.

I will give you another farce involving Hock and again I am not condoning him but did Hock received 8 matches for tugging the shirt of a referee.

Howell was given 3 matches for his assault on Tomkins. The part I find hilarious is that his suspension was only 3 because he did not break Tomkins jaw, cheekbone etc etc. What on earth that has to do with anything God knows. Intent is the key. Secondly, Howell according to the RFL had a very good record. Erm ???
Super League six banned after mass brawl between Catalans and Harlequins By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 8:20 PM on 15th July 2008
Six Super League players were banned by an RFL disciplinary tribunal yesterday following the Catalans-Harlequins game on Saturday.

Harlequins prop Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook picked up a three-match ban for his part in a mass brawl at the final hooter. Team-mates centre David Howell, full back Rikki Sheriffe, second row Michael Worrincy and centre Tony Clubb were given onematch bans.

Catalans stand-off Adam Mogg was also banned for one game for 'punching'. Mogg's team-mate Casey McGuire, escaped with a £300 fine.
Hardly a model professional
intent is just as bad as actually doing and that guy if very lucky to get away with 3 games and a pocket money fine
what i will be doing from now is watching the disciplinary panel very closely to see if there is going to be a consistancy in punishments fitting the crime

Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Intent is everything IMO OAM.
turf

Post by turf »

He should be BANNED for LIFE from playing RL!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: