Riddell for Captain!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Riddell for Captain!

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have just seen that Veivers suggested that Riddell would be a good captain for the team. I then re-read 5 times to check that I hadn't misread it.
FFS I cannot believe that anyone associated with the club would hold that fat man, who is quietly and expensively squandering his talent could captain anything aside from a pub drinking team.
I am an optimist by nature, and love my club as much as any non human thing in my life, and the thought that our coaching staff could contemplate making that waste of a shirt captain brings tears to my eyes. I can see the logic in them continuing to pretend he has had good games when he has been half decent at best, but this goes far too far.
cpwigan

Re: Riddell for Captain!

Post by cpwigan »

Even from a practical point of view, you cannot be a captain when you spend at least half the game, often more watching from the bench.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

From the burger bar more like.
It has to be Bailey, given how long he is likely to paly for and that, while limited in what he can do, he is disciplined and whole hearted. In a couple of years Sam will be in charge, and all will be well...
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think Bailey can do the full 80 and is the no brainer choice for captain. Fielden, Tommy, Gleeson, Carmont, Richards are far better choices that Pig.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Even from a practical point of view, you cannot be a captain when you spend at least half the game, often more watching from the bench.
Exactly. If he didn't have any of the faults he gets stick for but was still being played the length of time he is, he would still not be the right choice for captain.

The other thought that crossed my mind was what would the proponents of the "leads by example" idea make of this? Following Riddell's example the team would all have a beer gut in a month.

Dave
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

My wife knows sod all about rugby.Nor does she have any desire to know.I would sooner she was captain than burger van man.Good god things seem to go from the sublime to the bloody ridiculous.Get real will you Vievers!!!At a push it would be Bailey for me but rather have a brit.But who? :angry:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If Fielden played longer kooch he would be okay. Gleeson has the experience but has baggage/history. I think Sam is a future captain but that is in the future.

Coming through the ranks, Liam Farrell is a natural leader and much lower down, Ian thornley, Liam thompson and Greg Burke have leadership qualities.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Veivers agrees with me, though, that the on-field captain is of relatively little importance...
But Veivers believes that whatever the decision, it would have little influence on the result, saying the importance of who is named captain can sometimes be over-stated by the media and fans.
:roll:
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

GeoffN wrote:Veivers agrees with me, though, that the on-field captain is of relatively little importance...
But Veivers believes that whatever the decision, it would have little influence on the result, saying the importance of who is named captain can sometimes be over-stated by the media and fans.
:roll:
I agree with Veivers but a captain does need to be on the pitch for 80 mins so in my book it has to be Bailey
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

From the perspective from me, who has played rugby all of his life. I dont think it really matters who is named captain.

If we have players in the squad who have leadership skills and are capable of being captain, they will step up and act like a captain, wether they are or not.

Ive been made captain before and ive played alot of games not being captain. Ive still acted the same, talked to players, encouraged them, lead from the front.
The only difference is speaking to the ref.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."