Cunningham joke?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Matthew

Re: Cunningham joke?

Post by Matthew »

My guess is the reason that KFC has not been banned is because the RFL and Sky want him to be man of steel this year. To my knowledge he has never won it and next season will probably be his last in SL.

Why else would they let a player off scott free who intentionally punched an opponent in the face; breaking his eye socket? If this had been another player from another team who had caused the injury by being reckless; they would have received a lengthy ban. This was cold thuggery - just as bad as Howells elbow on Sam and should be treated in exactly the same way

With Roby out with a broken hand for 4 weeks, stains would be in big trouble if KFC got the ban who so blatantly deserves and the RFL want them to win the CC again.

If the RFL change their mind; they will have to admit that they were wrong in the first place - which we all know they don't do.

Disgraceful
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

I have emailed a lengthy enquiry to rl but I will not hold my breath waiting for a reply.
What is the difference between Cunninghams attack and Feka punching Campball in the bus station. Both one punch both caused damage,
Campbell was facing up to Feka.
Jim
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I think that the more relevant question is "what is the difference between Cunningham's attack on Stosic and Newton's attack on Long?

Both were intended blows to the face on a player that did not have the ball. Both resulted in fractured eye sockets.

Cunningham should face the same ban as Newton did.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

highland convert

Every fan irrespective of club should email RL hq re this farse. Let them know big style that the caution is unacceptable in any fairminded society. The other player out for how long and Cunni lines up next week, Jim
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

ian b wrote:
OAMJS wrote:i think we should send a petition to the RFL

stating is it one law for stains and one for everyone else

( he is probably on the magic soup )
show me where to sign mate!
Knowsley Road reception desk
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

highland convert wrote:I have emailed a lengthy enquiry to rl but I will not hold my breath waiting for a reply.
What is the difference between Cunninghams attack and Feka punching Campball in the bus station. Both one punch both caused damage,
Jim
gives us the email addy Jim then a few more of us can tell them exactly what we think
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

highland convert

enquiries@rfl.uk.com
Usually find it does more good to send it through the enquiries desk. Sent to an indevidual all he/she ends up doing is press delete. Every enquiry has to be checked and forwarded,
Jim
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

cpwigan wrote:http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... inary.html

If I have read it right. No ban. The Wakey player suffers a fractured cheekbone. Yet less than a fortnight ago we were told that Howells ban was reduced because he did not cause an injury to Sam Tomkins.

We also have Richie Mathers up for possible suspension.

The disciplinary/judiciary really let RL down and it is probably the worst aspect of our sport.
E-mailed the Bast***'s with my thoughts.Don't expect a thank you from them.Corrupt bunch of toss***. :angry:
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Me too - here's my effort:
Sent to the RFL

Dear Sir,

I feel compelled to write and ask the RFL to review their current “standards” regarding player discipline both on and off the field of play.

Having watched the St Helens/Wakefield match, I think that it is an absolute disgrace that a player can fracture another player’s eye socket and escape with a meaningless caution. The sky sports pictures clearly showed that Cunningham punched Stosic in the face in what was a calculated piece of thuggery. St Helens then went on to score whilst the Wakefield player was on the ground. That “play” could have decided the match – luckily it didn’t.

How is Cunningham’s attack any different to Terry Newton’s attack on Sean Long? Newton was banned for 6 months. Both attacks were intended to cause damage to an unsuspecting opponent and in my opinion (and the opinion of every other Rugby League fan I have spoken to) he should receive the same ban as Newton did. Stosic will not be playing next weekend – so why should Cunningham? Could you please explain why he received such a ridiculously lenient treatment (some would suggest favouritism) from the RFL? David Howells was recently banned for an elbow to the face of Sam Tomkins and Sam received no lasting injury; so how can a cheap shot that causes such a serious injury be dealt with by giving a player a (pointless) caution.

It is situations such as this that are the reason that so many Rugby League fans have so little respect or time for the sports governing body. Someone suggested that the reason that Cunningham was not banned is because the RFL is planning on giving him “Man of Steel” this year and a ban would prevent that. Whether there is even a scrap of truth in this is irrelevant – it is decisions such as this by the RFL that help to make rumours such as this flourish. Having seen the actions of the RFL this week; I am seriously considering placing a sizeable bet on Cunningham taking “Man of Steel”

This is yet another ridiculous decision by the RFL. Currently Gareth Hock is about to be banned from the sport for 2 years for taking a recreational drug that hurt no-one but himself. However we currently have several players in Super League (Cockayne, Pryce etc) who are currently serving sentences for vicious attacks off the field (Cockayne’s was particularly repulsive to watch) and we also have a player that is appealing a custodial sentence for hospitalizing his own girlfriend with a bottle. If Hock deserves to be banned for two years (and I think that he does for setting a bad example) – then so do all the players who have been convicted of violent assaults. The fact that Bird was refused a visa for the UK; but comes here every other week with the dragons shows just how little courage the RFL has. The RFL should have said “if you are ineligible to play for one SL club (on the basis of a visa) then you are ineligible for all of them”.

I hope that the RFL will have the moral courage to review the example that it is setting both to young RL players and the community at large

Yours Faithfully

pedro

Post by pedro »

highland convert wrote:I have emailed a lengthy enquiry to rl but I will not hold my breath waiting for a reply.
Jim
Feka didnt get banned either