amos roberts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
monksey

amos roberts

Post by monksey »

dont know what you think guys but amos roberts is our weakness in our team saints kept kicking the ball down his side all night 3 year contract what a joke get ainscough back in team asap
jackoh

Re: amos roberts

Post by jackoh »

You`re right Roberts had a poor game , but I thought our backs as a whole wern`t firing last night , Tomkins excepted . We made a lot of poor options on the the 3rd and 4th tackles when normally we`re so sound .
Can`t call the defensive effort which was awesome .
I watched Ainscough in the reserve game and I don`t think he could have provided anything extra that Roberts did .
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

And we were going to give him the freedom of Wigan after Leeds. The thing is to lift twice to that level would take great effort. Some probably had not recovered from Leeds. To lift to that height two weeks running is a big ask. to be slated when they dont in bad conditions is extreme,
Jim
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

highland convert wrote:And we were going to give him the freedom of Wigan after Leeds. The thing is to lift twice to that level would take great effort. Some probably had not recovered from Leeds. To lift to that height two weeks running is a big ask. to be slated when they dont in bad conditions is extreme,
Jim
At his age and experience, he should be at that level every week, just as Offiah/Robinson/Dallas etc used to be, and Pat is. If for any reason he wasn't recovered from Leeds, then he shouldn't have been selected. The others all played against Leeds too, and apart from Phelps, did pretty well.
ajsefc

Post by ajsefc »

We conceded two tries to St Helens at knowsley road in awful conditions, defensively nobody could have had an awful game. Simples
'I have a good stand up wash in that sink once a week'
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ajsefc wrote:We conceded two tries to St Helens at knowsley road in awful conditions, defensively nobody could have had an awful game. Simples
Just because their blunders didn't always concede tries straight away doesn't excuse them. In Roberts's case (since this thread is about him), he was dropping passes in attack, too, at least one of which was a certain try.

The other to come under criticism in catching is Phelps, one of whose drops conceded a drop out, the other gave up possession 10 metres out.
pedro

Post by pedro »

highland convert wrote:And we were going to give him the freedom of Wigan after Leeds. The thing is to lift twice to that level would take great effort. Some probably had not recovered from Leeds. To lift to that height two weeks running is a big ask. to be slated when they dont in bad conditions is extreme,
Jim
all the younger inexperienced players lifted so as an experienced player he should be leading them not the other way around.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

monksey wrote:dont know what you think guys but amos roberts is our weakness in our team saints kept kicking the ball down his side all night 3 year contract what a joke get ainscough back in team asap
I only hope that Amos gets it right on Saturday, as I think he will be in Smiths radar to have him tested out.
On his day, Amos is well capable, I just hope Saturday, is one of those capable days.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Could it not be the lesser of three evils. Roberts, Phelps and Richards. Roberts opposite Meli. Last night a try was knocked of for far less contact than Meli had on Robers every time he went up for the ball and guess what, Thaler was video ref that done it!!! His positioning with his centre is abismal. He overruns time and again. That is where his game looses its impact. Defence , catching running with the ball he is OK. Once Gleeson and him click it could improve but Gleeson can tend to be selfish when it comes to distrabution. Phelps had a cracker not a howler. OK he lost a ball in flight. He left it and Thaler said he touched it. Video shoed wrong call ref as far as I am concerned. Are you trying to do the same you did to Mathers and destroy his confidence. Mathers had a cracker last night but the one howler that led to Leeds gifted try would have filled pages on here. Where are the threads slating Sammy for his passes to the touch judge. Some can do no right some can do no wrong. Team effort won Leeds the same team effort should have won Stains. The same team effort should turn over wire.
Get behind the whole team,
Jim
ajsefc

Post by ajsefc »

GeoffN wrote:
ajsefc wrote:We conceded two tries to St Helens at knowsley road in awful conditions, defensively nobody could have had an awful game. Simples
Just because their blunders didn't always concede tries straight away doesn't excuse them. In Roberts's case (since this thread is about him), he was dropping passes in attack, too, at least one of which was a certain try.

The other to come under criticism in catching is Phelps, one of whose drops conceded a drop out, the other gave up possession 10 metres out.
Wrong. If he was abysmal Saints would've capitalised on it at least once in 80 minutes. Yes he did over run in attack but that doesn't make him an awful player. It's very rare we concede tries on the wing where Gleeson and Roberts have been because they are superb in defence.
It must be tough off on Roberts because 85% of kicks go his side because he is shorter than Richards and 85% of kicks in attack go to Richards
'I have a good stand up wash in that sink once a week'