super league team in cumbria

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
mitch2k9

super league team in cumbria

Post by mitch2k9 »

it's about time the super league big wigs put some money into cumbria as it is a hot bed of rugby talent.but they seem insistant on going to wales and scotland as far away as possible from the heartland of rugby yeh lets spred the game but lets make it stronger at its root first.like the world cup in 1013 games at wales murryfield and wembley,did they not learn anything from the last time we hosted it.keep it in the heartlands for crying out loud...
eccywarrior

Re: super league team in cumbria

Post by eccywarrior »

i agree with having a superleague team in cumbria but teams like workington and whitehaven wont merge which is a shame really but saying that we wouldnt merge with likes of leigh or saints. i disagree with you not having world cup game at wembley as its what we need and we used to have test matches there so why not?
IN WANE WE TRUST
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

mitch2k9 wrote:it's about time the super league big wigs put some money into cumbria as it is a hot bed of rugby talent.but they seem insistant on going to wales and scotland as far away as possible from the heartland of rugby yeh lets spred the game but lets make it stronger at its root first.like the world cup in 1013 games at wales murryfield and wembley,did they not learn anything from the last time we hosted it.keep it in the heartlands for crying out loud...
It's up to the clubs up there to do something, not the RFL. Any of them could put together a franchise application just as Celtic did, if they were sufficiently interested.

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

GeoffN wrote:
mitch2k9 wrote:it's about time the super league big wigs put some money into cumbria as it is a hot bed of rugby talent.but they seem insistant on going to wales and scotland as far away as possible from the heartland of rugby yeh lets spred the game but lets make it stronger at its root first.like the world cup in 1013 games at wales murryfield and wembley,did they not learn anything from the last time we hosted it.keep it in the heartlands for crying out loud...
It's up to the clubs up there to do something, not the RFL. Any of them could put together a franchise application just as Celtic did, if they were sufficiently interested.
A successful team in Cumbria would be very well supported, the amateaur game is as well supported as anywhere in the country.
The directors at both clubs, especially Workington arent cut out to make any impact for a decent franchise bid.
Both clubs are reported to have financial problems, albeit they both deny it and blame each other being more in debt.
A new stadium would be required, again a big argument point as to where it should be positioned, Copeland or Allerdale.
Barrow Border Raiders are the best option for SL at the moment. IMO.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It will never happen because the will does not exist to have a Cumbrian SL Team with the existing club acting as feeder clubs. Cumbria is a great RL area for players/supporters but all the existing clubs are kidding themselves thinking they can go it alone.
Panchitta Marra

cpwigan wrote:It will never happen because the will does not exist to have a Cumbrian SL Team with the existing club acting as feeder clubs. Cumbria is a great RL area for players/supporters but all the existing clubs are kidding themselves thinking they can go it alone.
SL clubs are also making direct allegiance with Amateur Rugby League Clubs.
I have heard on good authority that Bradford Bulls have, or are about to make direct allegiance with Wath Brow Hornets, who are one of the better sides in the NCL Premier Division.
From the strength of this, most of the successful Brow players will no doubt be heading to West Yorkshire.
Cumbria ARL teams have continually supplied players to teams outside of Cumbria, take young Mossop & Craig Murdock as a prime examples.
To prevent the migration of such quality should be harnessed within to strengthen the local Cumbrian Proffesional clubs. These clubs no longer have alot of pulling power, hence the exodus of good talent.
It is sad, but as you say CP, it will not happen in the current climate.
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

It's a pride thing, I'm from Whitehaven and the old fogies out there do not want to merge with Workington because of that old rivalry, i.e. Jam Eaters etc (Workington are the Jam Eaters btw :lol: ). I would love to see a Super League team in Cumbria but unless they get a big money backer, put the rivalry and pride aside then it won't happen, put the Stadium between Whitehaven and Workington i.e. Lillyhall. Barra are just about Lancashire anyways and they all molest sheep. :D
Up The Mont!
BriH

Post by BriH »

As an Old Marra frae Whitehaven, 1941 vintage, I have over 50 years experience of both Whitehaven and Workington. Not recently I may add because I have lived in Germany thses last 8 years. However, I keep in touch with events.
In the late '40's and '50's both Clubs were sucessful - Workinton having the edge.
In the last 15 years or so both Clubs have seen a decline in fortunes, particularly Workington.
Cumbrias' biggest problem is location. It's "off the map" so-to-speak. Neither Club have access to big populations, unlike most of the Lancs/Yorks Clubs.
Inevitably, revenue is always going to a Big Issue.
I honestly don't believe Super League is a viable option for either Club.
I think there is life outside of Super League and if I was a Director of either Club, I would concentrate on being a very sucessful Championship Club, get sponsors, develop their grounds and facilities, etc.
The only potential Super League is Barrow because of their greater population access and locality.
A shame really, because I always thought they were a Lancahire Club! Well, they were when I was a lad!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

TonyIdol wrote: Barra are just about Lancashire anyways and they all molest sheep. :D
So bestialism is not confined to the area at the other side of the Pennines?

Amazing!! Next thing you will be claiming interfamilial breeding takes place outside St Helens!! :lol: :lol:
Panchitta Marra

Kittwazzer wrote:
TonyIdol wrote: Barra are just about Lancashire anyways and they all molest sheep. :D
So bestialism is not confined to the area at the other side of the Pennines?

Amazing!! Next thing you will be claiming interfamilial breeding takes place outside St Helens!! :lol: :lol:
The Wellies in Cumbria are specially made with sheeps hoof sections moulded into the tops.