Atkins to Wire, Johnson to Wakefield

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
cpwigan

Atkins to Wire, Johnson to Wakefield

Post by cpwigan »

Ryan Atkins has signed a 4 year deal with Warrington and Paul Johnson is going the other way (12 month deal IIRC)
pedro

Re: Atkins to Wire, Johnson to Wakefield

Post by pedro »

and we have lost our best player...second year in a row and signed no-one for next year :conf:
pedro

Post by pedro »

Dont forget Mylers there next years also
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

The people in charge of recruitment at Warrington are excellent. They are managing to sign some excellent players to go a long with an already good squad.

They are doing nothing wrong its just that for too long now Wigan have made a mess of the squad and now with Mr Lenagan Wigan are not even going to sign players anymore.

weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

I don't know MD - their accumulation of personnel doesn't smell right to me.

For example I know for a fact when Paul Wood did his last contract he signed for 120K per year. Paul Wood is a decent prop but he's not a superstar and is part of the bench/squad. If a squad player like that is on decent dollar and Matt King is (for a fact) taking up a stupid proportion of the cap, how on earth are Wire accomodating your Morleys, Carvells (who we couldn't afford),Andersons, Clarkes? It doesn't add up.
pedro

Post by pedro »

God wrote:Carvell, Morley,King,Atkins,Myler the Anderson bros, Briers, Monaghan,Clarke and Westwood hmmmm something is not quite right here.
aswell as Hicks, Bridge, Wood, Rahuhi (sp)
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

IL has been backed in a corner by the old management of this club. Mainly the long term deal for Stu and maybe Feka are both meant to be on big money. Once their contract is up then we may be able to sign some more decent players.

IL said at the forum that he has looked at Atkins but there is no point signing him when we have 4 centres waiting to set up to the first team.

Pryce, Goulding, Thornley and another that the name escapes me. theses are all after the 1st Choice centre Carmount and Gleeson.

Carmount is good but for the Future I would let him go this year and sign Atkins. I like Carmount but his body his giving up. His shoulder as not been right for weeks. He ain't playing as good as last year. I am a fan but I think his time is over. One more season I think will prove too much.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I agree with Wiggy that IL inherited a bad situation with Feka and Fielden but he has decided to compound that with the Gleeson signing.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wire have got rid of Gleeson which must've freed up a fair packet. Briers will be on reduced terms, Mathers will not be on a lot as he was in poor form when he arrived, so was a risk. Johnson may well be a straight swap for Atkins payment wise, with perhaps an increase for Atkins if he acheives internation recognition. Doesn't seem much different from their expendature this season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

..... but why would you do a like-for-like swop Johnson for Atkins. Atkins is on the up and up with plenty of service and PJ to be fair is at the end of his RL days. Unless they are doing a player plus cash deal it's a rubbish deal for Wakefield.