noble is a good coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
leeh2101

noble is a good coach

Post by leeh2101 »

fans need to get off the back of our coach and support him, i know most do but there is a small majority who if we lose a match then the answer seems to sack the coach we dont live in the john monie years any more were we win week in week out this is 2009 were any team can turn up and beat wigan as for wigan can turn up and do the same thats the beauty of the competion. we need to give noble a new contract we need stability not another coach to start from square one then when wigan lose 3 matches in a row he gets sacked its a joke.
Shevi 4 life

Re: noble is a good coach

Post by Shevi 4 life »

I cant agree more, we have achieved with him imo, 2 final eliminators, in two consequetive seasons (possibly 3) and two semi's in the CC. We are very much on the brink, too change now could possibly be the biggest mistake wigan could make.
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

So you think Noble is a good coach ????????????????????

Tony Smith of Warrington been in charge less than 6 months Warrington dire when he took over now going to Wembley.
Nathan Brown Huddersfield one season in charge pushing for a Grand Final place and could be after today at Wembley.
Noble 3 and a bit seasons in charge nothing to show.I know which coach i would pick.
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

But wire and huddersfield, both have good teams on paper. Unfortunately i cant say the same for us, as we have so many youngsters, and a team that will only settle in a couple of years.
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Shevi 4 life wrote:But wire and huddersfield, both have good teams on paper. Unfortunately i cant say the same for us, as we have so many youngsters, and a team that will only settle in a couple of years.

Our squad on paper is as better than Huddersfields.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Noble is still trading on the "saved Wigan from relegation". Realistically we've never looked likely to win anything. By the time we have reached the final eliminator; the team has been exhausted and plagued with injuries - the chances of a team winning from outside the top two are very slim.

We don't win enough games during the season - especially at the start and under Noble we have lost far too many big games against average sides - yesterday being a prime example.

As has been stated previously; no other Wigan coach in recent times has been given longer than Noble - and nearly all of them had a better win/lose ratio. Whatever fans feel about his selection, tactics etc etc, that is what it comes down to. We have a better team (on paper) than Huddersfield, Hull KR yet they are both above us in the table.

Until this season; Noble had only beaten stains once in 13 attempts; including some almightly thrashings. It now looks like the we are unable to beat wire no matter how many times they use the same tactics against us and they are not in the same league as stains.

Had we got to the CC final and put in a good performance; then I would have been OK with him getting another year; not delighted; but I would have accepted it. We didn't and so I think that it is time that he moved on.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Yes we beat them drew with them and chased them very close in the later gaves, Proves an improvement to me. Sadly we are not allowed to progress because it will be trashed. WHY are we better on paper than Hud and Wire. I don't see where.
Oh the great sages on here say so. We will build to a winning team.
Jim
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

highland convert wrote:Yes we beat them drew with them and chased them very close in the later gaves, Proves an improvement to me. Sadly we are not allowed to progress because it will be trashed. WHY are we better on paper than Hud and Wire. I don't see where.
Oh the great sages on here say so. We will build to a winning team.
Jim
And how many attempts did it take? Are you happy to "chase them close"? Are you happy to go close; but never make a final? After the first year where Noble saved us from relegation; has the progress really been that great? Have we done that much better year on year? We've never been anywhere near winning top spot in the league and have only made it close to the grand final due to play off heroics inspired by the best player in the league.

Huddersfield is a team largely made up of players that Wigan decided were not good enough - and when they were at the club; they weren't. Mathers whilst not world class, was a far better player yesterday for wire than he was for Wigan earlier in the season.

I am not a rabid Noble hater and as I said; had we got to the final then I would have been OK with him having another year. But as it has been pretty much confirmed that we will have exactly the same squad next year - why do YOU think that we will do any better next season? What insight to the club do you have that makes you confident of that? Or is it just blind optimism?

Wigan were tactically exposed by an a superior coach using an average side. If Noble could not see that rat boy briers was going to kick the ball to glass jaw king then he must have been the only person in the ground to which it was a surprise. The same came be said for monaghan running at Feka.

At times Jim there isn't that much difference with the mentality of you and the Noble haters. Neither side is prepared to even consider that any other opinion than theirs might be correct.

I want Wigan to win something - and I don't think that they will with Noble in charge. So is it so wrong for me to want a new coach? I don't want him hung or publicly flogged; I don't think he is a bad person or a terrible coach - I just think that he has had his chance and it is now time for him to move on and for someone else to have a go.

Who knows; they may not be any better - but if not now then when? Are we going to persevere with Noble until he DOES win something?

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Shevi 4 life wrote:I cant agree more, we have achieved with him imo, 2 final eliminators, in two consequetive seasons (possibly 3) and two semi's in the CC. We are very much on the brink, too change now could possibly be the biggest mistake wigan could make.
We will never win the Grand Final with Brian Noble unless he is prepared to change his training stratergy.
In my opinion based on all that he has done at Wigan & Bradford, he will never change.
Yes we have been in grand Final play off position in every full season he has been here, however we have never been above fourth position entering into the play offs.
Nobles stratergy is to set off (fitness) slow, gradually build up momentum towards the end of the season, then we are hopefully at the top of our game.
The trouble is, by the time the team reaches its near peak conditioning we are nowhere near the top two.
This then gives us additional games we have to play over and above the top two positioned teams.
With these additional, very tough games, leads to a team becoming stale, in effect hitting a brick wall.
This Brick Wall is usually at the period we usually exit the Grand Final Play offs.
All teams, including Leeds & Stains, have "Stale" periods within their season, however they have good a squad rotation stratergy in well selected games.
Brian Noble never uses squad rotation, unless forced to by injury, as you are fully aware.
If Tony Smith had been in charge of Wigan yesterday, we would all have been looking at booking trains, hotels and sitting together at Wembley at the end of this month.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Wigan have the players but are lacking a good coach. Noble has steadied the ship so to speak but has shown he is not able to take the team any further.

Noble is too stuck in his old boring ways and only attempted to play 'interesting' rugby because Lenagan criticized the boring style of play. Noble's answer was to introduce poorly worked and in effective set moves into Wigan's games. Wigan need a coach who wants to play good attacking rugby league.

What Wigan really need is a coach who can get the best out of every individual. Every single player in the Wigan squad still has more potential in them, we have seen every player perform better at certain points. Imagine a coach who can get Fielden back to his best, get the Joel Tomkins who destroyed reserve teams single handedly, the Darrell Goulding who was tipped as the next superstar by the Aussies, the world cup winning Thomas Leulaui, the Sean O'Loughlin who was outstanding when he first came into the squad, sort out player like Karl Pryce and Paleaaesina who still have a lot of potential.