How many league props would survive in union?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
slimshady

Re: How many league props would survive in union?

Post by slimshady »

DaveO wrote:
slimshady wrote:A rugby onion prop is all about technique they do very little other than scrummage, ruck and maul the latter two to a lesser extent because the Flankers tend to secure most of the ball in rucks and mauls and the fat arse props just tend to shove and pull. They do nowhere near the collision stuff that rugby league props do but I wouldnt expect that we could handle all the stupid rules and the scrummaging at the top level, that said rugby onion props could not tackle, pass or get about the field in rugby league some have tried but not with any significant success. Rugby League props would be more suited to flankers as they are very mobile(feka excused) and they would be better with ball in hand.
Completely agree. The most likely convert to an RU prop we have is Feka. Our props are far more suited to play as a flanker. They are the forwards who are supposed to get to the ball and secure it and then the props amble along and the shoving contest begins.

Because of where I live my son plays RU and the view of the Dad's who's son's play in the forwards is funny. They see it as some sort of mysterious art and it just isn't.

Dave
I agree with the Feka bit he is also a lazy tub of lard, how he got MOM is a mystery in the warrington game.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Probably because most see themselves as back row. Props and packs are a mistery. Most of those tubs of lard are as fit as any prop is a similar level league. Physical effort in what you look on as lying down takes as much if not more out of you than a quick tackle a wee push and jump up again, turn passed. Why 20 minutes is a half shift I cannot fathom. Mind you we played the full 80mins. Doctor's line needed to come off.
Jim
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

As an earlier post showed the ball is in play for Union far less time than in RL. The game is far more stop/start. Those comparing a league prop with a union flanker call it right IMO.

My two favourite moments involving Union props are when one big name ran at Gary Connolly and he dropped the prop in an instance with the tackle. The look on props face was a joy. THe other was when league coached Scott Gibbs returned to Union and player for the Lions v SA and kept dropping a prop that made Feka look small.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

highland convert wrote:Probably because most see themselves as back row. Props and packs are a mistery. Most of those tubs of lard are as fit as any prop is a similar level league. Physical effort in what you look on as lying down takes as much if not more out of you than a quick tackle a wee push and jump up again, turn passed. Why 20 minutes is a half shift I cannot fathom. Mind you we played the full 80mins. Doctor's line needed to come off.
Jim
What are you on about, I played Rugby League at prop till I was 38 I stopped because it was too hard to recover and play week in week out Iam now 42 play Rugby Union to a decent standard in the forwards and have no problems getting up on sunday morning after a saturday game. Rugby League is easily the most physical out of the two codes and anyone who says any different is either a public schoolboy or that tit Stuart Barnes!
standofftfield

Post by standofftfield »

now that i agree with lol[/quote]
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

There is a great quote by Graham Lowe about his own health and Rugby Union.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

slimshady wrote:
highland convert wrote:Probably because most see themselves as back row. Props and packs are a mistery. Most of those tubs of lard are as fit as any prop is a similar level league. Physical effort in what you look on as lying down takes as much if not more out of you than a quick tackle a wee push and jump up again, turn passed. Why 20 minutes is a half shift I cannot fathom. Mind you we played the full 80mins. Doctor's line needed to come off.
Jim
What are you on about, I played Rugby League at prop till I was 38 I stopped because it was too hard to recover and play week in week out Iam now 42 play Rugby Union to a decent standard in the forwards and have no problems getting up on sunday morning after a saturday game. Rugby League is easily the most physical out of the two codes and anyone who says any different is either a public schoolboy or that tit Stuart Barnes!
Here Here Slimshady.

HC is wearing his rose tinted glases again, the same ones that Stuart Barnes & John Inverdale wear.
Two inflated balloons, never capable of playing Rugby League.

Rugby League Props, like any other position on the field, the players are by far, fitter, faster and with much more aggression.

Have you played Rugby League Jim.
I guess you cant have, going by nonsence comments you make about your comparissons of the two codes.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Found the Graham Lowe quote
"I'm 49, I've had a brain haemorrhage and a triple bypass and I could still go out and play a reasonable game of Rugby Union. But I wouldn't last 30 seconds in Rugby League."
the_cow

Post by the_cow »

think this thread is a bit pointless (no offence).

the two simply don't go at a high level- scrummaging takes ages to perfect and most league props simply aren't big enough.

Union props aren't fit enough for league or are too big to make it back and forth 10m repeatedly, and league props aren't big enough for scrummaging, and don't have the technique...

end of story.
NOBLE OUT PLEASE- YOU'VE HAD TIME AND NOW MY PATIENCE HAS RUN OUT!

IT'S ONE THING TO LOSE, IT'S ANOTHER TO PLAY DIRE AND BORING RL AND THEN LOSE!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Very true Cow