How many league props would survive in union?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
highland convert

How many league props would survive in union?

Post by highland convert »

Having watched league for a few years now and till enjoying it I was just wondering. The size of props and the amount of work they do before substitution is small compared to union. Union may headhunt for the backs but props should be looked for the other way. Graham is highly rated but I could not see him getting a reserve game in union. Morley and Carvel possibly plus the French props seem to have the determined agression that would be required. The rest seems a bit patsy. The first three tackles on Graham were called surrender. The drive and determination seems to have been sacrifised for a quick play the ball.
Jim
cpwigan

Re: How many league props would survive in union?

Post by cpwigan »

As players every RL prop is vastly superior to a Union one in terms of running, handling, passing, tackling and fitness (bar Feka). However, none would make it in top flight Union owing to the scrums where they simply do not have the scrummaging technique and scrummaging is the no 1 task of a prop in Union. Stuart Evans and David Young are classic erxamples. Great Union props. The former was embarassing as a league player, the latter was average and it took him 2 to 3 seasons to get to average.
pedro

Post by pedro »

None would last as they would get bored walking to mauls or rucks just to stand on the fringe.

They are uncomparable, and to say the work they do is more. I watched an international the other day and the TEAM did 51 tackles in a game. Made me laugh as Flanaghan did that against Saints on his own. Just oges to show how stop start union is and they always say League is.

Bear in mind Jim, a league prop every tackle runs ten and back 10 unless they make the tackle. Very hard work in the middle for a league forward. Having played both I can say Union is a doddle physically compared to league.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

highland convert wrote:Having watched league for a few years now and till enjoying it I was just wondering. The size of props and the amount of work they do before substitution is small compared to union. Union may headhunt for the backs but props should be looked for the other way. Graham is highly rated but I could not see him getting a reserve game in union. Morley and Carvel possibly plus the French props seem to have the determined agression that would be required. The rest seems a bit patsy. The first three tackles on Graham were called surrender. The drive and determination seems to have been sacrifised for a quick play the ball.
Jim
Not so long ago Bradford Bulls entered the top RU sevens competition on a Saturday afternoon.
They had played a Superleague game against Stains the friday night, travelled down to London and played in the Union comp.
My memory of Bulls winning this competion was Phil Vickery, then Englands No1 Prop forward running with a full head of steam.
He was met by Bradfords winger, Tevita Viacona, who hit him in the tackle, carried him 30 yards backwards and dumped him on his arse.
Yes TV was a winger, not a loose, or a prop, a winger.
There is no comparisson as to the strength & fitness levels of a RU prop, with that of their League counterparts.
Never try to kid yourself or other people on this site that there is.
Panchitta Marra

pedro wrote:None would last as they would get bored walking to mauls or rucks just to stand on the fringe.

They are uncomparable, and to say the work they do is more. I watched an international the other day and the TEAM did 51 tackles in a game. Made me laugh as Flanaghan did that against Saints on his own. Just oges to show how stop start union is and they always say League is.

Bear in mind Jim, a league prop every tackle runs ten and back 10 unless they make the tackle. Very hard work in the middle for a league forward. Having played both I can say Union is a doddle physically compared to league.
Four seasons ago there was a comparisson made between League & Union of when the ball is to hand.
Ball to hand was descrbed as the time in a game that the ball is being in possesion of a player running with it, passing it and scoring tries. It excludes scrums, kicking and time waiting for scrums & lineouts to be formed.
In Rugby League Ball to hand was recorded as 67 minutes out of the 80, and in Union it was recorded as 17 minutes.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Why would any prop consider even moving to union?they would be bored witless!And yes I am aware that was not the question.It's like watching paint dry.Stick to discussing the real game. :D
Panchitta Marra

KOOCH wrote:Why would any prop consider even moving to union?they would be bored witless!And yes I am aware that was not the question.It's like watching paint dry.Stick to discussing the real game. :D
:lol: :lol: Too true KOOCH.
I think Union props agression was in the original thread.
Would be great to see any Yawnion prop stand up to Morley if he was to change codes to the soft side.
"Run for cover Mr Manwearing".
ian b

Post by ian b »

the game between Bath and Wigan proved one thing that although the union forwards were bigger, the ferocity of the league forwards in the tackle was far superior and they were literally running for cover after 20 mins and like people have already said the handling and fitness is superior aswell.Unions forwards are designed for a totally different game.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

A rugby onion prop is all about technique they do very little other than scrummage, ruck and maul the latter two to a lesser extent because the Flankers tend to secure most of the ball in rucks and mauls and the fat arse props just tend to shove and pull. They do nowhere near the collision stuff that rugby league props do but I wouldnt expect that we could handle all the stupid rules and the scrummaging at the top level, that said rugby onion props could not tackle, pass or get about the field in rugby league some have tried but not with any significant success. Rugby League props would be more suited to flankers as they are very mobile(feka excused) and they would be better with ball in hand.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It was interesting that when Wigan played Bath at Union Bath had to resort to rucking/mauling and scrummaging. They never tried to play rugby.

Prop v prop is simply not comparable as several have said.