How many league props would survive in union?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: How many league props would survive in union?

Post by cpwigan »

I have played Union and I witnessed Martin Hynes the best young Union prop in his time dismantle opposition props but it does not change that the stronger prop will win unless the weaker shorter opposing prop is shorter and thus can outscrummage him. Hence it is not rocket science and it never has been. The two props are no different to two wrestlers.

Likewise scrummagining is dangerous and a reason why union scrums should be rendered obsolete. The very fact that should a prop be replaced by a non prop and by law the scrums become uncompetitive says it all.

I would argue they should go back to shorts with pockets.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

Its not uncompetetive scrums the word your looking for is uncontested.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:I have played Union and I witnessed Martin Hynes the best young Union prop in his time dismantle opposition props but it does not change that the stronger prop will win unless the weaker shorter opposing prop is shorter and thus can outscrummage him. Hence it is not rocket science and it never has been. The two props are no different to two wrestlers.

Likewise scrummagining is dangerous and a reason why union scrums should be rendered obsolete. The very fact that should a prop be replaced by a non prop and by law the scrums become uncompetitive says it all.

I would argue they should go back to shorts with pockets.
Scrums are dangersous but to be fair its a lot safer than 20 years ago. The only change id like to see is that the side putting the ball in has 20 seconds to get it out or they lose the put in.

The shorts were an embarresment. None more than when sides started having the second row bind his hand under the props middle leg and than grab his pocket to tighten the scrum. Tell you whoever thought of that if i ever meet him i will chop his middle leg off.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

slimshady wrote:Its not uncompetetive scrums the word your looking for is uncontested.
:blush:
mickh

Post by mickh »

"highland convert" wrote:
Having watched league for a few years now and till enjoying it I was just wondering. The size of props and the amount of work they do before substitution is small compared to union. Union may headhunt for the backs but props should be looked for the other way. Graham is highly rated but I could not see him getting a reserve game in union. Morley and Carvel possibly plus the French props seem to have the determined agression that would be required. The rest seems a bit patsy. The first three tackles on Graham were called surrender. The drive and determination seems to have been sacrifised for a quick play the ball.
Jim

i prefer to look at it the other way,how would those big fat tubs of lard cope in RL.They can hardly run,certainly cant pass or tackle and are just about fit for laying on each other in the scrums.Hookers are little better either.

-----------------------------------------------------------
old hooker, I was thinking the same thing.
I remember Scott Quinnell on his Wigan debut, at Doncaster a night match if I recall correctly, Matoutia (who signed for Saints the season after) knocked seven bells out of Scott who was no shrinking violet, :) Scott did go on to become much fitter but I bet he still remembers that match :)