Is WADA going too far?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Is WADA going too far?

Post by cpwigan »

OAMJSONA

Re: Is WADA going too far?

Post by OAMJSONA »

i will have some of that stuff on a sunday morning after mi saturday night
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I don't see how it's all that much different from using a hyperbaric (sp?) chamber to flood the body with oxygen, to aid healing, a la Radders prior to the 2002 Murrayfield final.
Unless it's a performance enhancing drug, or something that is used to enhance a players game time / performance etc. then I don't see the problem.
Maybe they should just stick to testing players who have deliberatley tried to gain an advantage by using drugs or other means, prior to a game, or are caught using recreational drugs.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

IIRC you are right Morph and could not agree more Sutty. It is exactly the same process. I think it says in the article that an Aussie Rules club spent a large sum on a room that replicates the benefits of training at altitude. Will athletes be banned from training at altitude.

WADA have a long way to go to find the real cheats and should concentrate on that.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

cpwigan wrote:IIRC you are right Morph and could not agree more Sutty. It is exactly the same process. I think it says in the article that an Aussie Rules club spent a large sum on a room that replicates the benefits of training at altitude. Will athletes be banned from training at altitude.

WADA have a long way to go to find the real cheats and should concentrate on that.
they should concentrate on the present batch of referees then
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

OAMJS wrote:
cpwigan wrote:IIRC you are right Morph and could not agree more Sutty. It is exactly the same process. I think it says in the article that an Aussie Rules club spent a large sum on a room that replicates the benefits of training at altitude. Will athletes be banned from training at altitude.

they should concentrate on the present batch of referees then
Are you suggesting that all the ref's are on drugs? :lol: :lol:

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I don't see anything wrong with what Wests are doing.

The article says the practice is considered ethically wrong by WADA but doesn't say why they think that. Be intersting to know why.

Oxygen (or lack of as the article mentions) isn't a drug or something that can be seriously classed as a stimulant.

Good point about banning high altitude training. Should we ban all athletes in athletics from "high altitude" countries?

Provided banned drugs are not used to increase recovery speed I can't see the problem.

Dave

stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

If someone decides oxygen is illegal then we're all in deep trouble as it constitutes 21% of the air we breathe. Without it we die.

That said I have a sympathy with WADA as to where they draw the line. No-one seriously wants our athletes to take anabolic steroids or other performance enhancing drugs in order to compete. But what about ephedrine used in over the counter cold cures etc? What about beta blockers to keep calm or even pain killers. Heroin is used regularly as an effective painkiller in orthodox medicine, but would result in a sportsman getting a 2 year ban.
Even more debatable is what we should do with players who are mysteriously absent when a test is needed, or refuse to take one because they were in the Bath or something.

The answer is surely to co-operate and recognize that it's very difficult and changing all the time. WADA really do have a hard time and don't get everything right, but not through lack of will or lack of ethical principles.

But I don't want my kids or grandkids on drugs in order to play sport. It really matters to us all.
Stevethegas
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

stevethegas wrote: Even more debatable is what we should do with players who are mysteriously absent when a test is needed, or refuse to take one because they were in the Bath or something.
6 month ban for the first missed test, a year if you miss another and two years if you miss a third are the rules.

Dave
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

The rules on missed tests may be clear, but hide the problem. Surely any player who avoids a test must be treated as one who has failed a test. The differing sanctions against Hock and the Bath players is hypocritical to say the least, and brings no credit to the RU. But then when did the RU ever have the moral high ground?
Stevethegas