Wigans number 1 rugby fan at it again!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
JARJAR

Wigans number 1 rugby fan at it again!

Post by JARJAR »

:angry: See that in today's paper that Mr Whelan the towns biggest rugby supporter (not) has announced plans to develop the Mesnes Playing Fields for a Boys and Girls Club and which will see the site being used for all weather floodlit football pitches.Rugby is completely ignored and the article reads that Mr Whelan apparently discoverd football - I'm sure the FA will vouch that he did in fact discover the game nearly 200 years ago the old git.
JARJAR

Re: Wigans number 1 rugby fan at it again!

Post by JARJAR »

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

He can do what he likes on Mesnes Playing Field for all I care.

My concern is whether we will be allowed to play any home games at his stadium if we qualify in the play offs.

Another thread which will eventually get locked methinks!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote: My concern is whether we will be allowed to play any home games at his stadium if we qualify in the play offs.
As we won't finish in the top 4 there is no conflict (I think). The first week is not a problem for a home game (Mike did the research) and even if we win we will be away for all games after that assuming we win in round 1.

Dave
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Just a shame that it was not his bloody neck he broke all those years ago instead of his leg!!!The more I read about this odious person the more I feel like throwing up.Worst thing Wigan rugby did in becoming associated with this man. :angry:
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Not sure if this is up to date or accurate but according to the super league website if Wigan finish in 5th then Wigan will have a home tie in the opening week of the play-offs. As it stands it would be Wigan Warriors v Castleford Tigers at the DW Stadium (or Halton Stadium).
Qualifying Play Off 1
1 V 4

Qualifying Play Off 2
2 V 3

Elimination Play Off 1
5 V 8

Elimination Play Off 2
6 v 7
http://www.superleague.co.uk/page.php?id=360

Finishing 5th might not be a bad thing after all. The first Elmination play-off might be a must win game but at least it is a home game.

If Wigan win that they will play the loser of 1st v 4th and if Wigan win that it gets abit complicated as the hightest placed team from the regular season gets to pick their opponent for the final elimators... and then the Grand Final
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

if we get home tie in play offs and latics are at home then we should play on a sunday if latics are at home on the sat and if they play on sunday then play on the friday unless sky cause trouble like last season with there demanding on when we play the game.
IN WANE WE TRUST
Susi

Post by Susi »

Thought the reason we had to play at Widnes was cos he would not let us use his hallowed turf before his footy team or 48hrs after.
Complete farce, we share a stadium (when it suits).
We should be able to work somet out as previously suggested, if they play sat we play sun or vice versa.
He won't let us,but he'll gladly spend the money he makes on our rent and stuff.
He can go and swallow a football for me
Ancientbutloyal

Re: Whelan & Mesnes Park

Post by Ancientbutloyal »

Interesting how the WEP portray Dave Whelan, helping the Wigan youngsters, blah, blah,blah, what a heroe! Same with the Observer which is part of the same group, always paint him in a positive light no matter what the issue.
I noticed they don't ask for any comment on the rumour about Whelan stopping youngsters from playing rugby league at half time at the DW stadium last Friday night :angry:
Kittwazzer

Re: Whelan & Mesnes Park

Post by Kittwazzer »

Ancientbutloyal wrote: I noticed they don't ask for any comment on the rumour about Whelan stopping youngsters from playing rugby league at half time at the DW stadium last Friday night :angry:
Trust me, that one is on its way. But it will be in a National, not one of the local rags!!