Finnegan high tackle...

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
robjoenz

Finnegan high tackle...

Post by robjoenz »

What are people's thoughts?
cpwigan

Re: Finnegan high tackle...

Post by cpwigan »

Looked bad at first but after the replays it looked more genuine and maybe even a penalty was questionable. The challenge is actually how Adrian Morley does many of his big hits.
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

its debatable rob as the saints player was going down and was below the guys arm/chest hight when he was hit, i think it looked worse than it really was. But we all know RL and as it was against a Stains player he will prob get punished and not a warning letter like cuningham got. But this is only my opinion :conf:

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

More interesting one for me Rob. The ball steal. Rules say a penalty now not a penalty try. Is that enough? Should the ball stealer not be sin binned?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

trotski_tgwu wrote:its debatable rob as the saints player was going down and was below the guys arm/chest hight when he was hit, i think it looked worse than it really was. But we all know RL and as it was against a Stains player he will prob get punished and not a warning letter like cuningham got. But this is only my opinion :conf:
You're too cynical you! :wink:
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan wrote:More interesting one for me Rob. The ball steal. Rules say a penalty now not a penalty try. Is that enough? Should the ball stealer not be sin binned?
If they downgrade the penalty for a ball steal in a try scoring opportunity, it doesn't make sense upgrade the punishment.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Why not Rob. You cannot get a penalty try which encourages a professional foul which in the circumstances tonight was what took place. A professional foul = a sin bin, especially when preventing a scoring opportunity.

If I chip the ball over the full back and he obstructs me or I race down the winger and the full back tackles me but will not let go. In both those examples you would award a penalty and sin bin the full back.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I know where you're coming from mate. The argument is that it's the last option the defender has left to prevent a try. It also prevents the attempted try scorer from releasing the ball in an attempt to receive a penalty try.
cpwigan wrote:If I chip the ball over the full back and he obstructs me or I race down the winger and the full back tackles me but will not let go. In both those examples you would award a penalty and sin bin the full back.
It wouldn't be a penalty try AND a sin-bin. It would be a sin-bin for a professional foul that prevented a POTENTIAL try but it's just a penalty.

However, if it was a DEFINATE try then the try is awarded and it's as if the professional foul didn't take place. You can't punish them twice.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

There seemed to be a knee problem and I was wondering if the knee collapsed pre tackle so the player actually fell into the tackler. From angles shown the tackle seemed head to chest with no contact with the arms whatsoever pre collision,
Jim
ian b

Post by ian b »

robjoenz wrote:What are people's thoughts?
dont think it should have gone on report the guy fell in to him and there was no swinging arm.My worry is like what has been said about it being against a stains player.