Richard Mathers

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ancientnloyal

Richard Mathers

Post by ancientnloyal »

LOL, as they say
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Re: Richard Mathers

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

fair play to the guy. Deserves it for his hard work (at wigan and wire) and for what he went thru at our club.

Magical what a bit of COACHING can do to sport players!
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Maybe fans should stop blaming other fans for players form. Oddly Mathers does not.

I also find it odd when I read people saying how great a player is or was not based on a game. I read on RLfans a poster criticising about half a dozen Huddersfield players and vindicating his view on a one off cup game choosing to ignore a full season of form.

Mathers IMO is not better / no worse than when he played for Wigan. In the semi and in the league v Wigan he was very poor.

Whatever the reason Huddersfield did not turn up for the final. Wire did. The form book went out the window.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I would read what Mathers said re about being nice to be coached again and not try to over complete the matter with psychology. He is still the same, not very good player. Who would you rather have Mathers or Phelps?

Fans do not ruin players. I watched a 2/3 interview with Andy Gregory this weekend. He never read the papers or took any notice of what fans said about him. He never made any rep teams as a junior and Wigan signed a scrum half called Ratchford that won everything and anything as a schoolboy. He signed for Widnes after over hearing the Wigan Head Scout saying he was too small but he knew he would return to Wigan one day.

The day a player takes any noticer of what fans say he may as well retire.
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

God wrote: Hell Mathers posted on this very forum.
Really?
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No. Not to my knowledge
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Good luck to the guy for his challenge cup medal.But I'm still of the opinion that he did not fit in at Wigan.The man was more of a liability for us than a plus.I say thanks for buggering off to Warrington and letting Phelps fill your shoes. :D
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

God I will reitterate. To my knowledge Mathers has never posted on this forum or any other forum. I think I have been here as long as you and I do not think any player has ever popsted here. Some Wigan RL Staff past / present have, several journalists but no Mathers.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I think someone said earlier, well done to himself and Higham for getting on with the job and winning at Wembley. It's amazing how a season changes. I'm reminded of Hampson and Robinson at Salford.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
mickh

Post by mickh »

Good luck to Mr Mathers, he has got a winners medal with Warrington, he was well protected by team mates covering up for him when kicks were aimed at him in defence, he didn't have much to do, and he played as he did for Wigan, ie. "With no confidence" and it shows. He will go no further in our game because he has got "no bottle". We were well shut.
Mickey Higham on the other hand, good luck to him, he was a good team player when he was here, a 100%er, and as with other posters, wish he was still here! Well deserved.