st. helens

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
stevethegas

Re: st. helens

Post by stevethegas »

Saints were in major trouble at the start of Super League, but have actually done well to turn themselves around. So Long's comments about being in safe hands are correct. The club is financially sound and (especially given the stadium) well run. The League needs Saints to be strong. Although we in Wigan would welcome a return to reliable wins over our neighbours, the reality is that they have deserved to have the edge on us in the last few seasons.
The best games are the close ones. Yes I think that in the next season we could well do better, and Saints may not be the force they were, but I still look forward to good exciting rugby league between the two.
Also I don't share the cynicism expressed about Kyle Eastmond. I'd have him on my team any time. He's sharp and fast and can make yards when others fail. He can kick as well. He, and Sam and Mossop and Farrell and the rest (apologies for omissions), are the future. And it's bright!
Stevethegas
georgeorwell

Post by georgeorwell »

stevethegas. Great well considered post. I agree with you, amen.
MiThor

Post by MiThor »

stevethegas wrote:Saints were in major trouble at the start of Super League, but have actually done well to turn themselves around. So Long's comments about being in safe hands are correct. The club is financially sound and (especially given the stadium) well run. The League needs Saints to be strong. Although we in Wigan would welcome a return to reliable wins over our neighbours, the reality is that they have deserved to have the edge on us in the last few seasons.
The best games are the close ones. Yes I think that in the next season we could well do better, and Saints may not be the force they were, but I still look forward to good exciting rugby league between the two.
Also I don't share the cynicism expressed about Kyle Eastmond. I'd have him on my team any time. He's sharp and fast and can make yards when others fail. He can kick as well. He, and Sam and Mossop and Farrell and the rest (apologies for omissions), are the future. And it's bright!

Heard that they asked for the Christmas punchup to boost the funds

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

MiThor wrote:
stevethegas wrote:Saints were in major trouble at the start of Super League, but have actually done well to turn themselves around. So Long's comments about being in safe hands are correct. The club is financially sound and (especially given the stadium) well run. The League needs Saints to be strong. Although we in Wigan would welcome a return to reliable wins over our neighbours, the reality is that they have deserved to have the edge on us in the last few seasons.

Heard that they asked for the Christmas punchup to boost the funds
Correctamundo!

Don't know where Steve has heard the rubbish that Stains are financially sound. Consistently giving shares and positions on the Board of Directors to debtors does not remove any long term uncertainties over the club's future.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

butt monkey wrote: Don't know where Steve has heard the rubbish that Stains are financially sound. Consistently giving shares and positions on the Board of Directors to debtors does not remove any long term uncertainties over the club's future.
And they have a new stadium to finance!!

Arsenal anyone!!???
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Kittwazzer wrote:
butt monkey wrote: Don't know where Steve has heard the rubbish that Stains are financially sound. Consistently giving shares and positions on the Board of Directors to debtors does not remove any long term uncertainties over the club's future.

Arsenal anyone!!???
Tesco are financing that!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
pedro

Post by pedro »

butt monkey wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:

Arsenal anyone!!???
thought that was the old one they had planned as I cant see Tesco building it as they have a very big store not far away, unless they sell it and build an extra next to it ala Wire.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

As has been said, stains now find themselves in the position that we did at the start of superleague. The players that have been key in winning trophies have either moved on (long) or are well past their best (kc, wellens). Other players seem to have lost their form (pyrce, gardner).

Barring some sort of miracle; I think that this may be the first trophyless season of many for the scousers. Eastmond is an exciting player; however it will be interesting to see how he gets on when he doesn't have long to take the lion's share of the playmaking workload. Personally I see greater similarities between him and Ainscough, rather than Sam Tomkins.

With their pryce about as interested as ours is; stains could really struggle to link the forwards to the backs with anything other than Roby's runs from dummy half
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

pedro wrote:
butt monkey wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote: And they have a new stadium to finance!!

Arsenal anyone!!???
thought that was the old one they had planned as I cant see Tesco building it as they have a very big store not far away, unless they sell it and build an extra next to it ala Wire.
Tesco is having an Express built with a small stadium at the side for St Helens to play in when the express is closed! :lol:

botica

Post by botica »

With regards the new stadium, we have had the plans submitted for a tender into my office. The build programme is called "Destination St Helens"

Behind both sets of sticks is all standing with seating up the sides it will have 10no executive boxes to seat 10-12 people and 1 24 seater box with the capability to split into 2.
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010