Martin Offiah

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Re: Martin Offiah

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
DaveO wrote: Why do you think Mo signed him in the first place?
1) Because he could. By this time, the man was power crazy!!
I think that is one of the most ridiculous things I have seen written about Mo.
2) To ensure that a team which was already unbeatable, and had been for some years, moved to the next level which was not only to win, but to humiliate!
Until I read 2).
Personally, I always thought it was a penis thing with Mo. But, as an aside, how now ironic did it later become that the man whose borrowed cheque book came close to destroying Rugby League as a competitive sport, should eventually almost destroy his home town club with the Salary Cap he was instrumental in introducing!!
It's all becoming clear now. You don't like Mo! "borrowed cheque book came close to destroying Rugby League as a competitive sport", what utter tripe.

Read John Monie's book if you want to find out who almost destroyed his home town club

Without Mo there probably wouldn't be any professional RL.

I am afraid your revisionist views of the history of Wigan RL be that whether Offiah was a good player or what Mo was about are looking like they are based on personal dislike of the people rather than anything remotely resembling facts.

Dave
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:

Read John Monie's book if you want to find out who almost destroyed his home town club
Save me the trouble and give us a clue!

BTW. It weren't me were it??? :( :(
Fozzius

Post by Fozzius »

Kitwazzer,

I seems that you don't have a particularly high opion of Martin Offiah as a player. I would be interested to know 1) Which Wigan winger in the last 25 years you rate as better than him
2) Which other British based players of the last 25 years you would have signed insteady of him.

Imo he is the best winger I have seen play at Wigan. (I have only been watching since the mid-late eighties so I cannot comment on anybody further back). He seemed to have an uncanny ability to ghost through defenses without getting tackled and watching him run was like watching a thoroughbred race horse. Yes he was quick but he had more than just speed as while it is important for a winger to be quick they need more than just speed. Also his tryscoring record isnt half bad. 186 tries in 159 appearances more than one per game. As far as I am aware nobody in the same period of time can match that record.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Fozzius wrote:Kitwazzer,

I seems that you don't have a particularly high opion of Martin Offiah as a player. I would be interested to know 1) Which Wigan winger in the last 25 years you rate as better than him
2) Which other British based players of the last 25 years you would have signed insteady of him.
1) Ferguson, Robinson

2) Nobody. We did not need him!

I have never said he wasn't a good player, I just think we could have managed without him!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I suppose you'd think that any player that scores around 500 tries in a career is over rated?

Why can't you see that your arguments hold no water at all? If you were even remotely correct in your surmising of Offiah and his career / ability, surely there would be more people on this board who agreed with you, the simple fact that there is only you, and you alone, who is making the argument that he was over rated should speak volumes. :conf:

jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

shows how little you know.
Fozzius

Post by Fozzius »

Why do you think either of those players was a better winger than Offiah?

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Fozzius wrote:Why do you think either of those players was a better winger than Offiah?
Just my personal opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I also believe that if we were to get the young Green Vigo today and he was coached and looked after properly, he could potentially be the best ever. Again, just my opinion!!
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Martin offiah was not a great rugby league player, he was a great RUNNER
Up The Mont!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

TonyIdol wrote:Martin offiah was not a great rugby league player, he was a great RUNNER
Bloody Hell Tony. You might have started something now!!! :lol: