Tomkins dropped from England team

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
The Eclipse

Re: Tomkins dropped from England team

Post by The Eclipse »

I'm really disappointed that Sam has missed out but am hopeful of him playing v Australia and NZ.
Mr Sergent

Post by Mr Sergent »

I think that Smith has dropped some real clangers in his selection. As people have mentioned this is not a warm up so it is no time to experiment. Alarm Bells should be raised for any international team that gives a cap to Ben Westwood.

Regarding Tomkins, He has to have a place in the 17 man squad. Myler was woeful against the Welsh and shown nothing to justify re selection. What surprised me most however is the omission completely of Rob Burrow and the fact this has not been mentioned on this thread. Am I missing something, is he injured? I think not. For me, if Smith is starting McGuire which I have no problem with then Burrow is the man who should be next to him. There is no doubt Burrow is a class act and has international pedigree, but more importantly he already has the familiarity and cohesion with McGuire which is key for a successful offence. I would personally start Burrow and have Tomkins off the bench to add a change of pace to the game. Introducing a Fresh Sam Tomkins to run at tired legs is an exciting prospect. With McGuire, Burrow, Tomkins (And Eastmond who I rate above Myler) I struggle to see how Myler now makes the squad. I'm sure he will be a great player in the future but not for this series.

Additionally I would definitely have found a place for Carvell, and also Higham, 2 of Smiths lover boys who he can actually justify giving a shirt to!

Anyway rant over.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mr Sergent wrote:I think that Smith has dropped some real clangers in his selection. As people have mentioned this is not a warm up so it is no time to experiment. Alarm Bells should be raised for any international team that gives a cap to Ben Westwood.

Regarding Tomkins, He has to have a place in the 17 man squad. Myler was woeful against the Welsh and shown nothing to justify re selection. What surprised me most however is the omission completely of Rob Burrow and the fact this has not been mentioned on this thread. Am I missing something, is he injured? I think not. For me, if Smith is starting McGuire which I have no problem with then Burrow is the man who should be next to him. There is no doubt Burrow is a class act and has international pedigree, but more importantly he already has the familiarity and cohesion with McGuire which is key for a successful offence. I would personally start Burrow and have Tomkins off the bench to add a change of pace to the game. Introducing a Fresh Sam Tomkins to run at tired legs is an exciting prospect. With McGuire, Burrow, Tomkins (And Eastmond who I rate above Myler) I struggle to see how Myler now makes the squad. I'm sure he will be a great player in the future but not for this series.

Additionally I would definitely have found a place for Carvell, and also Higham, 2 of Smiths lover boys who he can actually justify giving a shirt to!

Anyway rant over.
Good post :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

I agree Burrow is world class and I really rate him, however he has had an unlucky season with injuries, Manly targeted him in the World Club Challenge and he was in and out of the team until the back end of the season still, I would've included him in the squad as I agree his partnership with McGuire is solid. Tomkins and Eastmond are the future England halfbacks and I'd love to see them partner each other.

My halfback partner for my service team is from Widnes and says that he has seen Myler in the gym and he does nothing but pose in the mirror he also said that he is out for no one but himself which is why he probably looked a bit miffed and pee'd off that Sam outclassed him last weekend, if it was me I'd be happy that another class player has come to help the squad and is playing well.

Do or die time for Myler against France, I hope Elima gives him one right round his chops.
Up The Mont!
ian b

Post by ian b »

THE 18th Man wrote:Tony Smith cannot say McGuire has been better than Tomkins and claim to have a good knowledge of the game

i hope he leaves the England job for the sake of the national team

if it was based on form throughout the year it would be Tomkins at 6 and Eastmond at 7 but Smith has based it on his former players and future players
you are absolutely spot on.I know myler is good but he was poor against Wales but i suppose he is a wire player and that means the form book will go out of the window.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I would echo the thoughts of most on here, especially that if your going to play Maguire ahead of Sam why not stick him with the 7 he's played for the last umpteen years next to??!?!. Myler didn't impress me at all against the welsh and smacked of a young luke robinson, lots of talent but try's too much to make a big play when its just not on. Sam has shown he is probably the best stand off playing in superleauge so why hasn't he been picked?, and why put eastmond in there?. Also how can he pick fat westwood of wilkin, lets see a bundling penalty giving fatty, or a player who can pretty much play anywhere from 6 - 13 who gives you another kicking option?. I will wait to see what the team is for the Aussies before i really condem him but somethings fishy, i hate the way the RFL said "full time england coach" and then said "actually nah scrap that we'll go with a club coach again who will not only pick most his own players but will use that draw to bring players into his club"
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Leyther Pie

Post by Leyther Pie »

TonyIdol wrote:Its a disgrace, Westwood is w*nk, Sinfield shouldn't be starting, Burgess should be at loose. The problem with not playing Tomkins is that he moved to 6 when he came into the Wigan first team, he was actually a 7. Now in my experience 6 and 7 are not as different a position as they used to be so why didn't he put Tomkins at 7 and McGuire at 6? Smith is a c**t in my opinion. Favours his club team and hasn't got a backbone.

What the team should've been:

1. Shaun Briscoe
2. Lee Smith
3. Kyle Eastmond
4. Michael Shenton (Would've been Lockers if he was fit)
5. Ryan Hall
6. Danny McGuire
7. Sam Tomkins
8. Jamie Peacock
9. Scott Moore
10. Adrian Morley
11. Gareth Ellis
12. Jon Wilkin
13. Sam Burgess

14. James Roby
15. James Graham
16. Kevin Sinfield
17. Gareth Carvell

With the team above you have the advantage that Burgess is big enough to play anywhere in the pack, lets be honest if we're gonna beat anyone anywhere it's up front so why not play to our strengths. Smith obviously hasn't got the hang of this Rugby League thing, I've got my badges give me the job ffs.
Why Lee Smith? Correct me if i am wrong but aint he going to Yawnion? If so why is he chosen to play for England RL when he quite clearly wants to play Yawnion. Another one of Tony Smiths bum boys. The whole thing stinks imo.
I've never felt more like singing the Blues
When the Wiganers win and the Leythers lose.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Leyther Pie wrote:
TonyIdol wrote:Its a disgrace, Westwood is w*nk, Sinfield shouldn't be starting, Burgess should be at loose. The problem with not playing Tomkins is that he moved to 6 when he came into the Wigan first team, he was actually a 7. Now in my experience 6 and 7 are not as different a position as they used to be so why didn't he put Tomkins at 7 and McGuire at 6? Smith is a c**t in my opinion. Favours his club team and hasn't got a backbone.

What the team should've been:

1. Shaun Briscoe
2. Lee Smith
3. Kyle Eastmond
4. Michael Shenton (Would've been Lockers if he was fit)
5. Ryan Hall
6. Danny McGuire
7. Sam Tomkins
8. Jamie Peacock
9. Scott Moore
10. Adrian Morley
11. Gareth Ellis
12. Jon Wilkin
13. Sam Burgess

14. James Roby
15. James Graham
16. Kevin Sinfield
17. Gareth Carvell

With the team above you have the advantage that Burgess is big enough to play anywhere in the pack, lets be honest if we're gonna beat anyone anywhere it's up front so why not play to our strengths. Smith obviously hasn't got the hang of this Rugby League thing, I've got my badges give me the job ffs.
Why Lee Smith? Correct me if i am wrong but aint he going to Yawnion? If so why is he chosen to play for England RL when he quite clearly wants to play Yawnion. Another one of Tony Smiths bum boys. The whole thing stinks imo.
hes streets better than Briscoe, this is it not another warm up his selection must be experimental otherwise he needs the sack.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

When is the team announced for Saturday?
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

NO HE'S NOT

BUT AGAINST THESE MONSTERS IT WOULD PERHAPS HAVE BEEN BETTER IF HE HAD.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.