time we had an international coach and not a club coach

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
platt-warrior

Re: time we had an international coach and not a club coach

Post by platt-warrior »

The great Tim Sheenes is a club coach,are we not panicking some what.
Should we not be concentrating on the fact that we need a top notch Aussie coach.Not a second rate one.who's not half as good as his brother. :roll:
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

Out of interest, why do you think the national coaching role should be full-time? The coach has limited access to players during the superleague season, a mismatched French game mid-season and then 3-4 internationals at the end of the season. What exactly would the coach fill his time doing?

I can understand why Smith wanted a club role again - he was probably bored sh*tless twiddling his thumbs
It isn't just coach the team involved in the role. There are duties to for fill at the RFL. I know that Tony smith did teach on some of the coaching course the RFL do. Besides a coach should be at as many games a weekend as possible to watch the England player play week in week out. 3 games a weekend is possible.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

wiggydoran wrote:
Out of interest, why do you think the national coaching role should be full-time? The coach has limited access to players during the superleague season, a mismatched French game mid-season and then 3-4 internationals at the end of the season. What exactly would the coach fill his time doing?

I can understand why Smith wanted a club role again - he was probably bored sh*tless twiddling his thumbs
It isn't just coach the team involved in the role. There are duties to for fill at the RFL. I know that Tony smith did teach on some of the coaching course the RFL do. Besides a coach should be at as many games a weekend as possible to watch the England player play week in week out. 3 games a weekend is possible.
I agree with the national coach being available to attend as many games a week as possible. If he has a club coaching position, this is highly unlikely. I know that he can watch videos/dvd's of the games but that is still going to take up a hell of a lot of time, which, as a club coach I don't think he would have.

Anyway, how come the RFL suddenly change their tune from wanting a full time coach? which is why they originally appointed Smith in the first place.

Talk about moving the goal posts.... :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

.... but this is where you're getting a blurring of the role lines. Is the coach the coach or a RL development officer? Surely as a top-end superleague coach you've seen enough games to be able read the play quickly and get that from DVDs?

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

yeah suppose so :blush: ............

....but still don't think he should be a club coach as well!!!

Maybe that's cos I don't like him either :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

A proper international team system needs setting up, not just a dedicated national team coach.
To improve at this level, requires a concentrated training system & dedicated coaches, with all the selected squad players together over a more effective period of time.
IMO, the current training duration is not long enough to allow the team to gel properly.
If this means taking players away from club games, then do so.
Its no good finding out in match scenarios that player pairings arent up to it, or players just arent getting on with other squad members.
To be successful, Rugby League needs the international stage to be successful too.
As stated in a previous thread, we need an independant coach with no direct club ties.
Under "Leeds Smith" we had a Leeds based national team.
Now we will have a "Wire Smith" biased team, which is totally unacceptable.
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

Maybe a club assistant coach would be better???
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Tim Sheens is not a full-time international coach. :conf:
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

platt-warrior wrote:Tim Sheens is not a full-time international coach. :conf:
With a squad like Australia's, do they need a full-time international coach.
Cant see Sheene being biased towards any particular club side, unless they had the best squad players.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I believe they do Pan but they still need to learn the calls need motivating etc.
Your dealing with the best RL players your country has to offer so it could be argued these players be it GB or OZZ
or NZ dont need coaching in the true sense of the word.
I am convinced the GB coach should be the best available
but why full time,not needed in my opinion.