Training

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
UnsungPanapa

Training

Post by UnsungPanapa »

Not sure what training hours the old regime had the players on, but i do know that the players have all been sent letters regarding pre season start dates and times and they will now train everyday from 10am until 4pm which apparently is a big change from what they are familiar with and have done in the past. Looks like SW is as good as his word and they will train longer and harder than before, good or bad what ya think?
platt-warrior

Re: Training

Post by platt-warrior »

Not SW, MM i think.
Susi

Post by Susi »

imo irrelevant whom set it up so long as the desired result is gained.(better season)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

gerrum up Parbold hill
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think we will know in the first few weeks what difference re: fitness MM makes. Wigan under Noble always started the season badly and looked completely unfit until playing week in week out, the games obviously the only thing keeping them fit!. Noble obviously didn't push them hard and let players, and lets not mix words get fat!, some of our players resembled yawnion players with the bellys, i think the fitter players where only so because they were dare i say more professional than others and took fitness into their own hands.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

UnsungPanapa wrote:Not sure what training hours the old regime had the players on, but i do know that the players have all been sent letters regarding pre season start dates and times and they will now train everyday from 10am until 4pm which apparently is a big change from what they are familiar with and have done in the past. Looks like SW is as good as his word and they will train longer and harder than before, good or bad what ya think?
If it helps get results, I am all for it. Not as though they are turning up for training after a shift down the pit these days, is it?
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

UnsungPanapa wrote:Not sure what training hours the old regime had the players on, but i do know that the players have all been sent letters regarding pre season start dates and times and they will now train everyday from 10am until 4pm which apparently is a big change from what they are familiar with and have done in the past. Looks like SW is as good as his word and they will train longer and harder than before, good or bad what ya think?
I think its a bit worrying that this is a 'big change' from what they were doing before. I'd have thought 6 hours a day should be a minimum for professional athletes, after all there'smore to training than physical exercise.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

warrior1973

Post by warrior1973 »

I had an interesting chat the other day with a mate that Shaun Wane had been in touch with. This mate of mine has his own plastering bussiness and Wane's asked him if he'd take some of the accadamy players for work experience. He wants them to experience real work and find out what its like to do a hard days graft as they've never done anything but play rugby since leaving school. Not really sure what benefits there are in this, but im sure it'll give the accadamy lads a different outlook on life and make them realise how lucky they are being a professional sportsman.....and my mate should get loads of free tickets!!!
fred_flintstone

Post by fred_flintstone »

warrior1973 wrote:I had an interesting chat the other day with a mate that Shaun Wane had been in touch with. This mate of mine has his own plastering bussiness and Wane's asked him if he'd take some of the accadamy players for work experience. He wants them to experience real work and find out what its like to do a hard days graft as they've never done anything but play rugby since leaving school. Not really sure what benefits there are in this, but im sure it'll give the accadamy lads a different outlook on life and make them realise how lucky they are being a professional sportsman.....and my mate should get loads of free tickets!!!
Something Saints have been doing for a number of years.
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

I know that the players did do their own training outside of the club at various gyms around Wigan. Even if the players were only training for 3 hours a day they would put a lot of training in them self.

Pre season training tends to be more intense then normal season training. Could it be that these are the hours for Pre season training and not normal training over the year?

If the "Big change" is to normal season training to then well done IL the noble decision was a good one. Hopefully MM will do for us what Nathan Brown has done for Hudds and complete change team spirit, Structure and working method.

The young players should be sent out to work out side of rugby. What happens when their career is over? Also the players need to appreciate what they have so they don't do silly thing like Hock did.