Billy Slater...

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ancientnloyal

Billy Slater...

Post by ancientnloyal »

...in a Wigan shirt.

If Carlsberg did Wigan fullbacks, they'd probably be...
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
gpartin

Re: Billy Slater...

Post by gpartin »

legend isn't he
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

England did well for60 minutes but we had a collapse that France would be proud of... how can it be that we opened the flood gates? the players are meant to be the best and it shouldn't happen.

still, a joy to watch this australian team live in wigan - once a decade we gets teams like this...

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Yeah agree, they were brilliant they always look like they had an extra gear which we didn't.

Thought Briscoe had a great game for us.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Try he set up should have been disallowed. You are not allowed to deliberately propel the ball forward.
wigwan

Post by wigwan »

Billy Slater is class, but if were gonna take anything out of the game its that the last 4 or 5 tries all came from kicks, and i don't care how much you practise when you kick a rugby ball you need a bit of luck, which the aussies always seem to get against us.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

wigwan wrote:Billy Slater is class, but if were gonna take anything out of the game its that the last 4 or 5 tries all came from kicks, and i don't care how much you practise when you kick a rugby ball you need a bit of luck, which the aussies always seem to get against us.
If the players around the kicker know what he is intending then the odds dramatically increase.
I dont think for one second these kicks are meant as an off chance scenario.
They must be practised week in week out.

As you say Slater is class.
Year in year out Austalia has at least one full back who has speed to burn. I know its not just speed with Slater, but it is a big assist in his game.
Look at GB, we have a cart horse in Wellens and although Briscoe had a reasonable game yesterday from what I understand, he isnt the fastest at the race track.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

A bloody long drive back from Leeds after a defeat like that.Whilst I was shouting from the rafters when Burgiss scored and screaming that he was a greedy so and so when he should have given the ball to Sam T for the nearly try.I can honestly say that I was mesmerised by the speed of attack.The build up was awesome.I genuinely could not have picked the MOTM as all the Aussies had a damned good game.However,I do feel that the flood gates opened with the injury to Shenton.Not that I think it would have made any difference to the end result.My greatest wish is to see the likes of Slater and co wearing our colours.But I feel my wish will never be fulfilled.Good to see that Smith resigned.People keep saying how brave he was introducing the youngsters like Sam and Eastmond.Excuse me but after the lack lustre performance at Wigan he had no bloody option but to change things around.And class will always shine from the likes of Sam and Eastmond.They are never going to let anyone down.The honest answer is that we are outclassed by a simply glorious team that are a pleasure to watch. :D
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

cpwigan wrote:Try he set up should have been disallowed. You are not allowed to deliberately propel the ball forward.
Thats what I thought but there's no forward pass behind the line so my dad says it was ok. Still not sure but not one of the commentators mentioned he had propelled it forward at all which I thought was a bit strange, I thought I was seeing things.

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

gpartin wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Try he set up should have been disallowed. You are not allowed to deliberately propel the ball forward.
Thats what I thought but there's no forward pass behind the line so my dad says it was ok. Still not sure but not one of the commentators mentioned he had propelled it forward at all which I thought was a bit strange, I thought I was seeing things.
had to listen on radio 5 live extra (she had friends round for Jedward) they (millward) mentioned it being forward.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame