Anyone want to play on Friday?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Anyone want to play on Friday?

Post by Fraggle »

From http://www.wigantoday.net/ViewArticle2. ... eID=833131
Warriors down to bare bones

Wigan's injury crisis has taken an alarming grip on the club just two days before one of the most important games of the season.

Coach Denis Betts is working with just 17 fit players – the bare minimum – as he prepares a side for the top-six clash with Hull at the JJB Stadium on Friday night.

And this squad total includes newly drafted-in youngsters Liam Colbon and Bob Beswick as a fresh wave of injuries sweeps through the club.

Brian Carney and Kevin Brown have been added to Warriors' ever-expanding casualty list after picking up worrying knocks during defeat at London Broncos at the weekend.

Hospital scans have revealed Carney pulled a hamstring while the leg that Brown broke back in May is giving him grief after only one comeback game.
Gary Connolly also limped away from Griffin Park with a creaking hamstring and a swollen ankle and he too has had a scan confirming a battered and bruised body.

Betts is hoping the veteran centre's legendary healing powers will mean a recovery of biblical proportions.

But the Wigan boss isn't full of confidence.
He said: "It's wait and hope time.

"Brian and Kev definitely won't play this weekend and I shall just have to hope that Gary can pull off one of his miraculous recoveries and stick his hand up.

"At the moment I have just 17 fit players to train with and that includes Liam Colbon and Bob Beswick and the two kids who played prop against Broncos on Sunday (Bryn Hargreaves and Paul Prescott).

"It's looking pretty grim, unbelievable really.

"We picked up a really bad crop of injuries at the start of the season so I thought we'd already had our fair share.

"But just when we were beginning to cope, especially with our losses in the front row, along comes another wave of bad news to test us to the full."

Warriors' latest crop of casualties comes on top of the senior players already sidelined, the sorry litany including Terry O'Connor, Adrian Lam, Danny Orr, Danny Sculthorpe and Craig Smith.

Youngsters who could have filled the voids such as Harrison Hansen, Desi Williams and Dave Allen are touring the South Seas with the England Under-18s.
There is some light at the bottom of this particular black hole, but it is only a glimmer.
Betts added that Smith has an outside chance of passing muster in time for Friday night's encounter.

04 August 2004
Can't tell if the 17 includes Connolly or not. If it does and he can't make it, then we might need volunteers to play! It won't be easy for us against a good Hull side with all these players missing.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
kt4ever_1

Re: Anyone want to play on Fri...

Post by kt4ever_1 »

i will lol! :wink:
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Anyone want to play on...

Post by Mike »

Check the Injuries section for more details, but I reckon the fit list is:

Radlinski
Dallas
Aspinwall
Hodgson
Newton
Cassidy
Tickle
Farrell
Robinson
O'Loughlin
M Smith
Wild
Hock
Beswick
Colborn
Hargreaves
Prescott

Recovering (perhaps in time for Friday)
Connolly
C Smith (possibly)

Not too good going into a match against the 2nd best team in Super League?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Moore_115

Post by Moore_115 »

well if they are despret for players ill play for them :lol:
Every thing is funny as long as it is happening to someone else.
wiganbabe17

Post by wiganbabe17 »

i new u would say that mad ead
Moore_115

Post by Moore_115 »

what do u mean u know id say that
Every thing is funny as long as it is happening to someone else.
wiganbabe17

Post by wiganbabe17 »

what i said is what i mean i new u would say u would play
Alex the Warrior

Post by Alex the Warrior »

Wish i could attend never mind play. I'm best man at a wedding on Friday and i'd have to leave before giving my speech to get to the match.

On second thoughts, i'll try and make it!
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Alex the Warrior posted:
Wish i could attend never mind play. I'm best man at a wedding on Friday and i'd have to leave before giving my speech to get to the match.

On second thoughts, i'll try and make it!
From my (admittedly limited) experience of best man's speeches, depending upon what you say you might need to make a quick getaway! Try to slip in something controversial and that should help you out :)
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Shaun Wane & Denis Betts as props, Dean Bell at centre, Dave Lyon on the wing.