Crusaders to relocate?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
FROM A TO B

Crusaders to relocate?

Post by FROM A TO B »

I wouldn't be happy if I was one of the teams turned down for a SL licence in place of a team to be based in South Wales. According to teletext (Sky and ITV), they are planning to relocate to Wrexham in N. Wales (being only about 30 miles from Widnes).
Good news for me, as only 15 mins away, but not sure what message this is sending out regarding the licence deals.

I know there is a previous thread about Crusaders playing at Wxm, but that was based on the first game only!

Thoughts anyone? :conf:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
medlocke

Re: Crusaders to relocate?

Post by medlocke »

they are also looking at a bid by a team from Bridgend to appear in Championship 1, takes the piss IMO, they should pull Crusaders out of SL and replace them with Barrow IMO
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

It looks like this is a done deal, and I reckon the RFL have been exceptionally cautios with this as I have google mapped the route between the two stadia and the distance is 32.1 miles, so they will use that as a get out.
Personally I think if the Crusaders are to stay in SL, they should have to stay in South Wales, otherwise bring in Widnes who were shafted by the RFL to allow Catalans in in the first place.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
the_cow

Post by the_cow »

Not overly fussed about Crusaders moving location. Wasn't too bothered by Widnes missing out in the first place to Crusaders- Wigan got in SL which is the main thing (so I'm alright jack).

However, starting up a new club in Neath in Champ 1 made up of just Welsh local lads is good news imo- keeps the momentum up that has been built in youth development in the area. This is how it should have been done in the first place!

Looking forward to possible a trip to South Wales to watch the (Blackpool) Panthers!
NOBLE OUT PLEASE- YOU'VE HAD TIME AND NOW MY PATIENCE HAS RUN OUT!

IT'S ONE THING TO LOSE, IT'S ANOTHER TO PLAY DIRE AND BORING RL AND THEN LOSE!
exile in Tiger country

I thought the whole point of the crusaders was to promote RL in the RU heartland. Wrexham and North Wales generally follow association football, The fact that crusaders are in SL will mean that any decent welsh talent will inevitably play for them, leaving the S.Wales team as second rate at worst and as a feeder club at best.
If the RL meant what they said about developing RL they should insist crusaders stay in the south.
Anyone in North wales with an interest in RL will no doubt already follow a team from the North west of England.
Lets face it, many people, myself included travel a lot further than from Wrexham to watch a Superleague team play.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

News conference being called next week at Wrexham Football club.
good news for travelling fans, it's a really easy ground to get to by car or train (Station only 5 min walk from ground). Loads of parking at nearby retail park, plenty of pubs nearby (for mike binder) :)
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
exile in Tiger country

Crusaders' move may cause animosity - Jonathan Davies

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 412976.stm

Really? Do you think so Jonathan :eusa17:

MrDave

Post by MrDave »

SSN had a bit on the Crusaders relocation to Wrexham, asking people who Wrexham who their favourite current rugby league player was; one guy replied Jonathan Davies, and everyone else had no clue what rugby league was.

The only person they found who knew anything about rugby league in Wrexham was a Widnes Vikings fan who was none too happy about the idea of the Crusaders in the first place.

I'm not really sure why Crusaders have moved to Wrexham, there is no fan base for them there and if anything it's going to annoy the people who do support Crusaders because their 'local' team is now 100 miles away.

Surely it would have made more sence for the team to move towards a major city like Cardiff or Swansea were there are more people more opportunity for sponsors and advertising. Also it's in acceptable travelling distance for the current Crusaders fans.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

MrDave wrote:SSN had a bit on the Crusaders relocation to Wrexham, asking people who Wrexham who their favourite current rugby league player was; one guy replied Jonathan Davies, and everyone else had no clue what rugby league was.

The only person they found who knew anything about rugby league in Wrexham was a Widnes Vikings fan who was none too happy about the idea of the Crusaders in the first place.

I'm not really sure why Crusaders have moved to Wrexham, there is no fan base for them there and if anything it's going to annoy the people who do support Crusaders because their 'local' team is now 100 miles away.

Surely it would have made more sence for the team to move towards a major city like Cardiff or Swansea were there are more people more opportunity for sponsors and advertising. Also it's in acceptable travelling distance for the current Crusaders fans.
That's where it all falls down, the morons in the RFL wouldn't know common sense if it jumped up and bit them on the arse. The Crusaders move doesn't affect me at all, but I'm still mightily annoyed at the way that this has all turned out and made our sport look like a joke, to some. We should, IMO, be investing in clubs like Whitehaven, Barrow, Workington, Leigh, Halifax, Widnes etc. etc. All clubs that are steeped in history and tradition, 5 years ago the crusaders didn't even exist, it's nothing short of a complete sham, and a bent one at that. I can only begin to imagine how peed off some of the Celtic fans are. :angry: :angry:

BriH

Post by BriH »

Apparently, according to BBC text, Wrexham FC rae buying Celtic Crusaders.
This is even worse than Harlequins gobbling up London Broncos.
Has the RL no shame? An utter and absolute disgrace.