Crusaders to relocate?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
MrDave

Re: Crusaders to relocate?

Post by MrDave »

BriH wrote:Apparently, according to BBC text, Wrexham FC rae buying Celtic Crusaders.
This is even worse than Harlequins gobbling up London Broncos.
Has the RL no shame? An utter and absolute disgrace.

Very worrying that Wrexham FC, a national conference football team, have taken over Crusaders Rugby League.

Apparently Crusaders Rugby League will save Wrexham FC by generating extra income, not sure how confident I would be after leaving there supporters behind and having a coach who adopts a boring style of rugby league.

Perhaps South Wales RLFC will have better luck, I wonder if the RFL will 'fast-track' South Wales RLFC into the Super League if/when the Crusaders fail. Personally I would like to see clubs like Widnes and Leigh back in the Super League.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

After Celtic's "scandal" with the "Aussiegate" farce. This surely means that Celtic (or whatever they call themselves) have failed on ALL counts re the Super League License Application and should be either removed or at the very least plans drawn to promote one of the other applicants who missed out for the following season should this farce/drain on SL finances continue.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

There are at least 5 blooded Wigan fans in Wrexham (cousins) so it's a chance for them to watch us I guess. They couldn't be happier.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

They won't last. Their Unique selling point to the RFL has gone right out the window. The only thing the authorities have to gain by allowing them to do this is to delay the admission of failure by a year or so.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Are they allowed their name in this PC world we live in? I wonder what the Muslim community thinks of them.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ancientnloyal wrote:Are they allowed their name in this PC world we live in? I wonder what the Muslim community thinks of them.
:lol:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MrDave wrote: I'm not really sure why Crusaders have moved to Wrexham, there is no fan base for them there and if anything it's going to annoy the people who do support Crusaders because their 'local' team is now 100 miles away.
I think the move has nothing to do with fan base but everything to do with the current owner wanting to sell up and the Chester businessman backing this deal is more than likely the only one with a realistic offer on the table. So those are the only considerations the RFL can see.

It's either this or lose the Welsh SL team as far as the RFL are concerned and they do not want to do that even if it made far more sense to admit temporary defeat and let them drop out of Sl, reform as Neath and work their way up the leagues properly.

The fact he wants the club to generate income for the soccer side is interesting because it shows poorly supported soccer sides can't survive and runa ground they own themselves on their own.
Surely it would have made more sence for the team to move towards a major city like Cardiff or Swansea were there are more people more opportunity for sponsors and advertising. Also it's in acceptable travelling distance for the current Crusaders fans.
It's a money issue with the current owner wanting out. I agree it makes far more sense for them to ne fown there but clearly there is no one down there willing to take them on as owner but in Wrexham there is. I personally do not think the move will be a success and in a few seasons they will be gone completely.

I live in Chester so its a short distance away but I know a bit about the local sporting set up round here Rugby-wise and North Wales is considered a development area for RU which means while there are RU sides it's not a big sport in the area. Unless they are very good at marketing it they won't get many English fans from Cheshire venturing over the border to support them - too much English/Welsh rivalry in the area for that. So I am not sure where their support will come from.

Dave
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

no doubt the RFL will hail it a success with the increase in attendance compared to last season. What they'll forget to tell youis how often the away supporters outnumber the home.
Location and ease of roadlinks for Wigan, Wire, and Stains, probably makes this closer than most of the Yorkshire games.
From getting onto the M6 at wigan, there are only 5 exits to take and you are at the ground (near as damn it)!

Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
mave the rave

Post by mave the rave »

SUPPORT IN THE FLINTSHIRE AREA SEEMS VERY GOOD ACTUALLY IN 2000 WREXHAM HAD TWO INTERNATIONAL GAMES OF SUPER LEAGUE AND GOT CROWDS OF THIRTEEN THOUSAND. I LIVE IN THIS AREA AND HEAR A LOT OF PEOPLE DISCUSSING THE FIRST GAME AGAINST LEEDS AND A LOT ARE ORGANISING TRIPS UP TO WREXHAM FOR IT .IT WILL TAKE TIME BUT I THINK IT WILL BE GOOD FOR WREXHAM.ITS MUCH BETTER FOR ANY SIDE TO HAVE A GOOD F0LLOWING WHICH SHOULD SPUR CRUSADERS ON TO BETTER RESULTS.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mave the Rave, could I suggest you stop using upper case all the time please in your posts!

Thanks
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan