End of an era

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
MrDave

End of an era

Post by MrDave »

On the 27th of December it will be the last Saints v Wigan 'festive fixture' played at Knowsley Road and 2010 will be St Helens last season at Knowsley Road as they plan to move into their new stadium in 2011.

Apparently the new stadium won't be ready for the start of the 2011 season but Saints will play their home games at other locations (probably Widnes).
exile in Tiger country

Re: End of an era

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Can you imagine how poor their attendances will be then, They can't fill The GPW hole now and it's in St Helens.
If they have to play at Widnes, they will have fewer fans than the oppositon.
HA! :D :lol:
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

To be fair their attendances will probably increase playing games at Widnes and at their new stadium as fans won't have to risk their lives for 80 minutes in wobbly terracing.

There was a rumour a few years ago that St Helens were offered a lot of money, a new stadium and a big sponsorship deal by a company from Liverpool, the two stipulations were the team would be renamed Liverpool-St Helens RLFC and they team had to move closer to Liverpool city centre (possible ground share with a Everton FC in a new stadium). I wonder if that would have helped improve their attendances?
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

as much we hate st helens there crowds would increase if they went to a new stadium just like hull, warrington etc
IN WANE WE TRUST
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

exile in Tiger country wrote:Can you imagine how poor their attendances will be then, They can't fill The GPW hole now and it's in St Helens.
If they have to play at Widnes, they will have fewer fans than the oppositon.
HA! :D :lol:
Sorry if I'm being thick, but what is the GPW hole??
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

GPW stadium is the oficial name of knowsley road since they agreed a sponsorship deal at the start of last season
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Would have been nice to play the last game against us.

Still - hoping for the playoffs final eliminator (us going on to win would be epic)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame