Wigan Crowd

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NTA1

Wigan Crowd

Post by NTA1 »

We need more people from Wigan to turn out and support the Rugby rather than the football.

I was concerned when I saw that over 12,000 fans turned out at JJB to watch Latics on first day of the football season. We should be getting at least 18,000 fans now to compete with the likes of Leeds and Bradford in crowd figures. Whelan does not need an excuse to choose who to put first in the town!!

:craz:
robjoenz

Re: Wigan Crowd

Post by robjoenz »

Not that we're meant to discuss the football... but it was the first day of the Coca-Cola championship, first game of a new season always attracts a decent crowd.

Someone told me that Forest were singing "You only sing at the rugby."
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:

Someone told me that Forest were singing "You only sing at the rugby"

:D
kt4ever_1

Post by kt4ever_1 »

Sounds bout right!!!
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!
mario

Post by mario »

I thought our crowd on friday looked larger than 12,074!
wait till latics play a small team and you've got to remember at latics
  • under 5 go free
  • 5 - 13 are £2
and
  • 14 - 16 are £4
Makes a lot of difference to families.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Mario, seems a good deal, what are the equivalent prices at the Rugby? If they are higher why??. Like you I thought the crowd was bigger last Friday, the east stand was reasonable and there appeared to be more Hull fans than there were Bulls fans several weeks ago.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I've always argued that kids prices are too high. Junior season tickets are good value, but kids can't always make it to every home game.

There are other factors in Latics attendances...

Most games are played on Saturday, when more people are able to go. (I and many others have to miss most Friday away games because of not having time to get there.)
Even in Div 1, there are more clubs that bring a large crowd of away supporters...if they do ever get into the top div they'll fill the jjb (and be outnumbered...)
They're seldom televised live.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

CONSPIRACY THEORY

Perhaps... they downsized the Warriors crowd to evade the increased tax a larger crowd gives (although high 11,000's would have made more sense) and to give the Latics fans a sense that football is level pegging with the rugby within the town and encouraging them to attend more games.

As for reduced prices for kids at Latics matches, they don't offer anything like that on a standard match ticket. Kids get really cheap season tickets at the rugby and free away match admittance. I think the rugby ought to offer free tickets for Graduates! lol
pacman

Post by pacman »

Its not really any concern how many so called Latics fans turned up against Forest at the weekend, as has already been mentioned it was the first game of the season and after last seasons exploits the JJB would have been half full of bandwagon jumpers!

Also its in the middle of the school holidays and the Premiership season has yet to start so Manchester United, Liverpool, Everton, Man City, Blackburn and Bolton had no home games. Ideal opportunity to keep the kids quiet about taking them to a match by doing it for a fraction of the price than at the premiership grounds, whilst brainwashing their tiny minds into thinking that this is top quality football (maybe a tad cynical!) Just wait until a cold Wednesday night in December at home to Plymouth and see just how many 'Latics' fans brave the elements.

Wigan has, and always will be a Rugby League town, this won't change even if they got to the Premiership! And that won't be happening this season!!!
mario

Post by mario »

Concession prices at the Rugby are £10 and £8 compared to £2, £4 and nothing at the football!