Craig Smith to Retire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: Craig Smith to Retire

Post by ian.birchall »

Mike,Even Maurice says 'He is still one of the best props in the game', so why are we getting rid and buying a crocked aussie prop with no representstive honours at all who has been crocked for the past 2 years. I hope to pieces that we are not giving Davico a big payday as that would just add insult to injuries. Can we have a vote on whether we should allow Maurice to go to Oz on buying trips in future :baaa:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Wight Pie posted:
Just one question though... do you think Mo has actually been looking at Smith playing this season because if anyone at the JJB deserves a decent deal for one last year then Smith's the man.
He was too busy p****ng about in Australia signing centres on twice the wage they were already on that we don't really need.

It was in Rugby League world that we offered Vaealiki twice his Eels wage to secure his signature because we showed late interest and Saints were close to signing him. So that's probably where a lot of the money is going. Must say I'm very angry at our chairman.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Mauricec said a while ago (sorry can't find the URL for it, but I think it was on wigantoday) that he was going to run with 3 props next season, ie Scully, davico & Sue.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Yes he did, but who is this girl Sue? Did Jerry say Seu Sue? :sly:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Just before kickoff, first game of 2005...

"My name is 'Sue!' How do you do! Now you gonna die!"

Alex the Warrior

Post by Alex the Warrior »

Watching him against Hull in a patched up state, and recalling his performance against Bradford while injured, i thought that they had little choice but to keep him on for another year.

I think he has been fantastic for Wigan and it looks like he's been thrown out with the rubbish. Deserves better.

Thanks Craig from me at least!
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
redhead

Post by redhead »

Im sad to see this I thought he might at least get 1 more year been a great bloke to watch and after that run last week thought we'd be signing him up as stand in winger if Brian or Dallas gets a knock. Will hopefully at least get the chance for a send off.
the little walnut
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

GeoffN posted:
Mauricec said a while ago (sorry can't find the URL for it, but I think it was on wigantoday) that he was going to run with 3 props next season, ie Scully, davico & Sue.
Maurice is definitely going senile. Does he not learn anything? This year we started with 4 props. 2 weeks ago we had none of those 4 available. If we only go with three then we're asking for trouble. Scully is superb but he's a little bit injury prone, Davico is currently out long-term and maybe won't be fit for the start of next year and who knows what damage Sue might do with her handbag before coming over here :-)

Whilst I'm all in favour of the kids getting a chance I don't think our young props are ready yet for sustained play in the first team. We have suffered badly with injuries for the last two seasons, other clubs likewise and there's no reason to believe next year we'll have a good year with everyone keeping fit (although soomehow Leeds seem to be managing this year having been through 30+ players last year). I guess Cassidy might get another contract but I don't rate him as highly as Smith.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
dancer

Post by dancer »

I am still gutted about this crap, I was thinking along the lines of, Seuseu Scully Davico and Smith would have been a great set of props to have onboard. Thats all been flattened now by our gracious overlord. Unless hes planning on signing someone along the lines of Fielden or Morley to replace him(which aint gonna happen) then I find this decision an insult to Craig Smith and to the Wigan fans also.

P.S I'm still spewin
Welsh Warrior

Post by Welsh Warrior »

Can't agree more with everything everybody has said about losing Craig Smith. He has been absolutely brilliant time after time. You will be sorely missed. Good luck with everything you do from here in Craig. Man of Steel and Grand Final is no more than you deserve.Good luck.