Craig Smith to Retire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wight Pie

Craig Smith to Retire

Post by Wight Pie »

Looks like all of our collective wishes have been dashed as the club have just posted the news on the club website that Craig Smith is to retire at the end of the season.... :(
dancer

Re: Craig Smith to Retire

Post by dancer »

Well I am gutted by this news. Hes been the best prop in the league for the past 2 years.

Quote from Craig Smith

"I was considering playing for another season, particularly as I feel that I am enjoying the game more than ever. After discussions with the club however, I have agreed that it might be the right time to call it a day. I feel sad in many ways as I am enjoying my Rugby League very much at the moment and Wigan is a great place to be right now. "

So basically Maurice has told him hes not getting another contract. Good job Maurice, you really are a star.
Wight Pie

Post by Wight Pie »

That's the way I read it as well... or at least that they offered him a deal which wasn't what he was looking for....

Seeing as how Davico and Seuseu are probably going to be on big salaries maybe Mo thought they couldn't afford a big payday for Smith for one year what with the salary cap difficulties and everything.

Just one question though... do you think Mo has actually been looking at Smith playing this season because if anyone at the JJB deserves a decent deal for one last year then Smith's the man.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

dancer posted:
Well I am gutted by this news. Hes been the best prop in the league for the past 2 years.

Quote from Craig Smith

"I was considering playing for another season, particularly as I feel that I am enjoying the game more than ever. After discussions with the club however, I have agreed that it might be the right time to call it a day. I feel sad in many ways as I am enjoying my Rugby League very much at the moment and Wigan is a great place to be right now. "

So basically Maurice has told him hes not getting another contract. Good job Maurice, you really are a star.
Agreed, this "after discussions with the club" part says it all. I do wonder sometimes what planet Maurice is on. A blind man could see Craig has been our best prop this year, still has more speed than nearly everyone else in that position and is giving his all for the team. We've got someone who wants to stay, is a proven success, and what do we do? Ditch him and hope that next year's recruits will be able to do the job. I've not seen Davico, but in recent times we've had a bad record with props like Malam, Goldspink and the utterly pointless Harvey "No Yards" Howard. I hope Chairman Mo knows what he's doing, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Thanks very much Craig for your efforts for the last couple of years. I hope you'll get the great send-off you deserve from the fans at the end of the season.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
mario

Post by mario »

Maurice has been senile for some years now!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Crazy. Guess we can't do much except give him a really good send off at Old Trafford.

On a happier note, though, TerryO is looking to be back for the Skints game...
http://www.wiganonline.co.uk/ViewArticl ... eID=836131

DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

How exciting. We need another prop for next season then, so unless we can fuse Hargreaves and Prescott into one person, anyone fancy starting any rumours? Paul Anderson is available apparently if we want someone with pace, skill and athleticism
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

DaiJones posted:
Paul Anderson is available apparently if we want someone with pace, skill and athleticism
The name might be confusing, people might think we'd signed that Paul Anderson from Bradford instead. Oh, maybe that *is* the Anderson you're referring to, the reference to skill had me fooled...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
silver surfer

Post by silver surfer »

What a shock. I had Craig being a contender for Man of Steel along with Faz. Hope he gets the send-off he deserves, after all, so far we haven't had chance to say goodbye to Pongia have we? :(
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I agree with the views on this thread. Its obvious that Smith is being forced to "retire" by the club, either offering a poor contract, or not offering one at all.

Its a very bad descision. We have the chance for a front row rotation of Smith, SeuSeu, Davico and Sculthorpe next season. That would have been good enough to see us through any match next year even with injuries.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐