Nicky Stanton.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
A49

Nicky Stanton.

Post by A49 »

I, for one, whilst recognising that we cannot retain all our promising youngsters, was very disappointed when we failed to keep Nicky Stanton.

As a junior he was a joy to watch, scored tries for fun despite his lack of size and kicked goals from the touchline.

Very much doubt if Maguire would have got rid without, at least, giving him the chance to prove himself.
ajsefc

Re: Nicky Stanton.

Post by ajsefc »

As you point out we can't keep everyone of our youngsters, I imagine it was a choice between him and Ainscough
'I have a good stand up wash in that sink once a week'
superleague

Post by superleague »

rather have stanton than ainscough, better all round player
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Nicky was and is a better winger than Ainsy. Unfortunately Nicky was shafted by Noble and left with no choice but to move on after Noble lied to him and failed to meet assuirances he was given by the then coach. Not that Nicky was the first nor the last to be treated so by Noble. Yet we still had happy clappers defending Noble to the bitter end.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The Leigh fans think he is fantastic. He had some niggling injuries and was initially limited by playing on the left wing with no decent left centre and 2 halfbacks that could only pass left to right. Like many in this game luck plays a part in your future and I think like Sean Gleeson he will catch no harm. Wakefield were interested during the close season.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

cpwigan wrote:Yet we still had happy clappers defending Noble to the bitter end.
Oh dear! Do I still sense your condescending tone. Let it rest.

Over one week to go before the season starts and you'll give yourself a coronary at this rate

As for any Leigh fan's thinking Stanton was "fantastic". Two questions.

Both their fans thought he was fantastic? Leigh's season was one of inglorious failure, hardly glowing recommendation for any player wouldn't you think?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

butt monkey wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Yet we still had happy clappers defending Noble to the bitter end.
Oh dear! Do I still sense your condescending tone. Let it rest.

Over one week to go before the season starts and you'll give yourself a coronary at this rate

As for any Leigh fan's thinking Stanton was "fantastic". Two questions.

Both their fans thought he was fantastic? Leigh's season was one of inglorious failure, hardly glowing recommendation for any player wouldn't you think?
:eusa2: Has it ever gone way
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Surely if Stanton was better than Ainscough he would have had offers from Superleague clubs?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wakefield wanted him for 2010 Excile but he was persuaded to remain at Leigh. I believe he went to Leigh because he wanted to play first team RL. Stanton had been in our senior academy teams since the age of 16 before even the likes of Sam T. He was in the first team squad at Wigan for 3 years +. In his last year he was promised some first team games by Noble and it never materialised. We experienced how difficult it was for Ainsy to get a game when lady luck smiled upon him to get him an opportunity. Despite scoring several tries, Noble found a reason to drop him.

I think more and more young players will go to the Championship to show their ability and then move back to SL.

BM / M no idea what nonsense you are spouting as you are both on my ignore option.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Wigan can not keep all their young players. Some will go on and become good players somewhere else and others fade away into obscurity, anyone know where Desi Williams is these day?