Playing for Contracts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Shaun1967

Playing for Contracts

Post by Shaun1967 »

One factor which could play a major part in the new season, is that of the 33 players in the first team squad, 21 of them do not have guaranteed playing contracts for next year.
This includes the 9 youngsters; Farrell, Charnley, Vievers, Tuson, Thornley, Davis, Mellor, Marsh & Walker, who will be looking to secure a future at the club anyway.

Also included is Paul Deacon who then moves onto his coaching contract.

This leaves 11 players who should be looking to secure regular starting places and contract extensions:-

Carmont
Goulding
Prescott
Mcllorum
Phelps
Pryce
Hansen
Bailey
Fielden
Palea’aesina
Coley

The first four all have options for a further year in the favour of the club (with the exception of Carmont who’s further year is appearance based).

In my opinion, of this group Carmont & Prescott have been the most consistent performers for us over the last couple of seasons. The rest need to produce improved, consistent performances to secure new deals. We have the opportunity to free up quite a bit of salary cap for 2011.
Under MM the days of earning a wage based on name and past reputation are over.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
cpwigan

Re: Playing for Contracts

Post by cpwigan »

I personally think we did not need Bailey even in 2010. We have more than enough back rowers and centres.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I would expect Pryce, Coley, Bailey and Carmont to move on. They are all Noble signings unless come through the ranks. When MM's style develops it will be obvious who would fit or or who wouldn't... hence bringing in players capable of doing the job in 2011.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

cpwigan wrote:I personally think we did not need Bailey even in 2010. We have more than enough back rowers and centres.
I agree, particularly given the nature of his injury.
If anything, I thought he may have been given a place in the coaching set up as he is highly regarded within the club.

A&L, I'm surprised Fielden wasn't on that list!
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Mock me but I reckon Fielden could have a big year... gut instinct, with the new regime. I think Feka is more vulnerable. Does MM need an impact prop?

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

ancientnloyal wrote:Mock me but I reckon Fielden could have a big year... gut instinct, with the new regime. I think Feka is more vulnerable. Does MM need an impact prop?
I'm not mocking, you could well be right.
I don't think Noble did Fielden any favours at all in the way he tried to change his style of play when he came from Bradford. A change of coach could transform not only Fielden but several other squad members as well.

I can't help thinking though that where Fielden plays in 2011 will be dictated as much by his financial demands as form.

WALLY LEWIS
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I seam to think others will :wink:

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Lee Mossop is also out of contract at the end of the season.
IMO he should be the first player Wigan need to sign and a four or five year deal.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

ancientnloyal wrote:Mock me but I reckon Fielden could have a big year... gut instinct, with the new regime. I think Feka is more vulnerable. Does MM need an impact prop?
I think every coach needs an impact prop in the modern game.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

ancientnloyal wrote:I would expect Pryce, Coley, Bailey and Carmont to move on. They are all Noble signings unless come through the ranks. When MM's style develops it will be obvious who would fit or or who wouldn't... hence bringing in players capable of doing the job in 2011.
Carmont will only move on if he is blighted by injury or does not gel with MM's style; otherwise he will play enough games to secure another contract. At the end of this season he should (career ending injury not withstanding) be in better shape than Bailey is at the beginning of this one.

Furthermore, I am pretty sure his new contract was not negotiated until after Noble left; so MM would have had some input into whether he stayed or not.

I agree that Bailey Coley and Pryce are likely to leave. However I would definitely add Fielden to that list. His next contract is going to be a shadow of the fortune he secured when he moved from Bradford and we have several younger props fighting for a place; so I would imagine that he is highly likely to follow his coach to the crusaders for a retirement package.

As popular as Phelps is; Fielden's departure will mean we have a lot more money available for next year and fullback is an obvious position for us to move for a big name signing - so if Phelps has a shaky year under the bomb; then he could be on his way.

It is also highly likely that not all of the youngsters will be retained - but it is a bit too early in the season to speculate who will go!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------