BREAKING NEWS: NEWTON SUSPENDED FOR DRUGS

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
weststand-rich

Re: BREAKING NEWS: NEWTON SUSPENDED FOR DRUGS

Post by weststand-rich »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Terry Newton was told by the person who gave him the stuff that he would be fine etc whether that meant Terry knew it was illegal but could not get caught or that Terry was told the substance was legal I do not know. Either way. More fool him.
Didn't KFC get off because he was miss-advised?

Dave
Yeah in part - but it was a fairy tale crock. Both the substance he used and TN used require injection. You do not inject supplements!

The Sun today has picked up on the 'intelligence' bit of TN positive test.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... ewton.html

This is interetsting for several reasons. Firstly if Terry gets a whiff of who has reported him, I wouldn't like to be that bloke. Secondly it suggests that the tests are not applied blanket fashion (cost??) and will be targeted only if there are suspect reasons.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

weststand-rich wrote:
DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Terry Newton was told by the person who gave him the stuff that he would be fine etc whether that meant Terry knew it was illegal but could not get caught or that Terry was told the substance was legal I do not know. Either way. More fool him.
Didn't KFC get off because he was miss-advised?

Dave
Yeah in part - but it was a fairy tale crock. Both the substance he used and TN used require injection. You do not inject supplements!

The Sun today has picked up on the 'intelligence' bit of TN positive test.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... ewton.html

This is interetsting for several reasons. Firstly if Terry gets a whiff of who has reported him, I wouldn't like to be that bloke. Secondly it suggests that the tests are not applied blanket fashion (cost??) and will be targeted only if there are suspect reasons.
The interesting bit is the stuff he took is said to leave the body very quickly so the tip off must have been very specific in terms of timing - i.e. "he's just taken some, test him now".

He's the first to get done for it no doubt because no one else has been tested close enough to when they took it.

Players are tested at games and at the training ground (unless they are Internationals when it can be at any time) so most would not be daft enough to take this prior to a training session or game and would expect the traces were gone before the next time they could be tested.

So I think whoever tipped them off must have known very specifically when Newton actually took the stuff.

Dave
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

I've spoken to a player with knowledge of how to use HGH and in the past the general way it's been administered has been a daily injection later in the evening. The logic of that timing has been that everybody has a daily cycle of Growth Hormone secretion and it peaks through the night when your asleep and then drops off. By injecting then it coincides with your natural release but just exaggerates the levels. The old tests just looked at GH levels overall meaning the old tests were a blunt instrument.

I'd guess Terry will probably have been taking daily injections, but the new test looks like it picks up the recombinant therapeutic isoform. The doping authorities won't publise this too much, but I'd hazard the new test looks for signiture breakdown of the slightly different GH - the detection profile and times will be longer than previous (days rather than day). If the RFL were tipped the wink, they will have known he was probably using daily and how long the tests were accurate for.