Wigan 58 Catalans 0

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Wigan 58 Catalans 0

Post by GeoffN »

An impressive performance, against an admittedly poor Catalans side, but 10 tries in those conditions is still good, especially considering how we've struggled to put away these sides in the past.

Can't argue against Pat for MoM, though despite his 5 tries I'd give it to Sam, who was involved in creating everything, aided by a dominant pack, in which Coley was excellent. Superb defence, yet again - they never looked like scoring. Some nice touches too from Tommy, and from Deacon, though his contribution was spoiled by quite a few unforced errors.

Amazing discipline, too - only one penalty conceded, and it took 70 mins even for that. Decent game from Thaler, although he bottled it at the end in not sending two Catalans players off, one for that high shot and another for manhandling the ref - I recall Hock getting a sending off and lengthy ban for a similar offence...one rule for Wigan?

ancientnloyal

Wigan 58 - Catalans 0: Richards Wigan SL Points Record (38)

Post by ancientnloyal »

What a win eh?

Pat got the SL points record for a wigan player with 38... he could have scored 7 if carmont gave his two tries to him.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
GeoffN

Re: Wigan 58 - Catalans 0: Richards Wigan SL Points Record (38)

Post by GeoffN »

ancientnloyal wrote:What a win eh?

Pat got the SL points record for a wigan player with 38... he could have scored 7 if carmont gave his two tries to him.
If not for that miss with his last conversion, for which he was quite rightly booed, he might have got my MoM vote... :wink:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Super League record for points was Iestyn Harris (42) Leevs v Huddersfield 1999 - 4 tries, 13 goals.

That puts Pat in second place overall

Mick Sullivan holds Wigan's all time record of 44 points against the Legendary Flimby & Fothergill game. Follow link for that match report!

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0ByP ... k&hl=en_GB

As I said, Richards could have potentially got 7 tries... if converted those extra 2 kicks he could have got 50 points out of 52 potential. What if's eh? I got the impression he ran infield to allow carmont to get the try himself, making his position unavailable for a score. anyway. history however it is made.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

It's such a staggering change isn't it?? It begs the question what was Nobby not doing with them?

Coley is the player I hoped for we'd signed when we first got him. I've given Fielden loads of stick over the past 2 years, but all credit he's found his mojo as well.

The confidence in that team must be sky high at the minute. I can't give enough positives to the collective attitude and performance.
winstanley_warrior

Re: Wigan 58 Catalans 0

Post by winstanley_warrior »

That'll do.. 100% and playing some good stuff.... :D
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

What a perfomance in heavy conditions the defense is awesome some big hits going in tonight.What a difference a good coach makes dont forget these are the same players (apart from Deakin) who played last season.100% completion rate first half no mistakes no penalties .The team spirit is all to see they are lapping this new found way of playing rugby at its best and was evident at the end with their lap of honour applading the crowd and laughing and joking between themselves.To all the doubters out there we are the team to beat in SL .
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Saw O'Loughlin go down the tunnel injured, did Goulding and Riddell get knocks? Hope Goulding didn't... poor Ainscough :)

O'Loughlin seemed to be more serious of the three.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Another pleasing aspect, only two of the ten tries were scored from kicks, if I remember rightly.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

We had 0 errors iirc in the first half and I think 3 or 4 in the second. Much improved from last week, which was in better conditions. Still, Pat missing that goal eh

Played 4
Won 4
For 150
Against 32
+- +118

reminds me of 1994

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame