What State Rugby League.

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Panchitta Marra

What State Rugby League.

Post by Panchitta Marra »

The below details are taken from the "Engage Superleague" web-site.

Wigan Warriors’ thrilling victory over Warrington Wolves last Saturday was not only played in front of a sell-out crowd but watched by one of Super League’s biggest TV audiences in recent years.

The Halliwell Jones stadium saw Wigan edge out Warrington 22-20 to go top of the league and, despite the Winter Olympics being broadcast on BBC 2, Saturday’s clash attracted the biggest TV audience for a regular round of Engage Super League since April 2008.

Paul Kimberley, Super League’s Commercial Director, said: “The TV audiences for the 2010 season are so far extremely encouraging and are a result of a number of factors including having the majority of games broadcast on Sky Sports HD1.

“This season the contests are proving captivating encounters for the armchair viewer with nearly eight tries per game. Last Saturday’s game was an absolute thriller with the result in doubt right up until the final hooter. The coaches and players of all Super League clubs deserve a huge amount of credit for putting on such great games.”

Last Saturday’s game is not the only fixture to have attracted a bumper TV audience this year.

The peak audience for the Round 2 fixture between Wigan Warriors and Hull KR was 33 per cent higher than for the same fixture in the playoffs at Craven Park last year.

January’s Engage Super League match between Crusaders RL and Leeds Rhinos also drew a record peak audience on Sky Sports for an opening round game and the average audience was 35 per cent higher than the fixture between the same two clubs at Headingley Carnegie which kicked off the 2009 season.

Saturday’s bumper crowd at The Halliwell Jones stadium was Engage Super League’s second sell-out crowd of the season. Crusaders RL’s opening game of the year against Leeds Rhinos drew a capacity crowd at Wrexham’s Racecourse Ground.

This week Sky Sports will be broadcasting four live games of Rugby League starting on Thursday when Sky Sports 3 will show Leigh Centurions versus Barrow Raiders - the first game of The Co-operative Championship season.

In 2009 more than a million people watched The Co-operative Championships live on Sky Sports and overall viewing figures were up by 31 per cent.

Friday sees Hull FC meet Harlequins RL in the Engage Super League on Sky Sports HD3 and on Saturday Castleford Tigers host Hull KR on Sky Sports HD2.

The live coverage climaxes on Sunday evening when Leeds Rhinos meet Melbourne Storm in the Gillette World Club Challenge. The game is live on Sky Sports HD1 and will also be broadcast to 33 countries around the world reaching a potential audience of 33 million.

Viewing figures are up on Sky with some very possitive comments.
I wonder what the BBC's thoughts are on this with their pending situation of coverage of the Rugby League Challenge Cup.
No wonder Yawnion is doubting the quality of their product, mainly the lack of tries being scored.

exile in Tiger country

Re: What State Rugby League.

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Good question re the BBC, however I would point out that if Wigan's ground had the same capacity as Crusaders we would sell out every week, and nearly every week if we were as tiny and insignificant as Wire
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

While the viewing figures are good, I do worry that they're at the expense of ground attendances to some extent.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

GeoffN wrote:While the viewing figures are good, I do worry that they're at the expense of ground attendances to some extent.
Quite possibly, but it's somtimes difficult to get games, especially for those of us that don't live locally.
Last season I only got to five games, the year before eight. The difference? Nothing to do with performance, my wife lost her job, so I simply can't afford to get to as many gamesat £80:00 plus per trip. So I'm grateful for any coverage I can get, and to GMR coverage on the internet.
I'm sure the current economic situation has a lot to do with attendance figures. It's an expensive night out if you attend with your whole family, even if you live round the corner.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

exile in Tiger country wrote:
GeoffN wrote:While the viewing figures are good, I do worry that they're at the expense of ground attendances to some extent.
Quite possibly, but it's somtimes difficult to get games, especially for those of us that don't live locally.
Last season I only got to five games, the year before eight. The difference? Nothing to do with performance, my wife lost her job, so I simply can't afford to get to as many gamesat £80:00 plus per trip. So I'm grateful for any coverage I can get, and to GMR coverage on the internet.
I'm sure the current economic situation has a lot to do with attendance figures. It's an expensive night out if you attend with your whole family, even if you live round the corner.
I completely agree, although I will say that I used that Scrum V ticket for the Catalan Match on Friday night and so myself and my other season ticket holding friend attended (as usual) plus 6 of my friends from all over the country, as I got their 6 tickets in the east stand for £30 when it should have been nearer £100 for 6 tickets.

Thats a saving of £70!!!! Which in the current climate is great going, Thank you Wigan and Mick Hogan or whoever came up with that idea, a top night was had by all!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Cant spread the gospel without good media coverage, that includes Sky TV and the Beeb.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We need good media figures to command a high price for the service. However, the media also want full stadia. Chick and egg I guess. I often think there should only be the SKY game on a Friday (Maybe Saturday evening too) and no competition with RL games in the main returning to Sunday.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:We need good media figures to command a high price for the service. However, the media also want full stadia. Chick and egg I guess. I often think there should only be the SKY game on a Friday (Maybe Saturday evening too) and no competition with RL games in the main returning to Sunday.
Well, we'll see if there's any change in our normal game night once the survey results are in, but I suspect the vote will be as much in favour of Friday nights as it was last time.

It's always difficult to tell how much TV is a factor, as there are so many other things involved in attendances.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

GeoffN wrote:
cpwigan wrote:We need good media figures to command a high price for the service. However, the media also want full stadia. Chick and egg I guess. I often think there should only be the SKY game on a Friday (Maybe Saturday evening too) and no competition with RL games in the main returning to Sunday.
Well, we'll see if there's any change in our normal game night once the survey results are in, but I suspect the vote will be as much in favour of Friday nights as it was last time.

It's always difficult to tell how much TV is a factor, as there are so many other things involved in attendances.

What survey is this mate please?

The Club want to get games changed to Saturdays/Sundays asap local fans may 'prefer' Friday nights but would still go at another time. Friday Nights are really awkward for away fans and people like myself who have to travel. The club are losing money as a result.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

gpartin wrote:
GeoffN wrote:

What survey is this mate please?
http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=5469

Lots of questions, one of which is the preferred game day/time. I think it closes quite soon, so get yours in quick if you haven't already.