Holding Down at The WCC

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Holding Down at The WCC

Post by Mike »

Why the new interpretation on holding down for one match?

But more importantly, why if that interpretation was going to changed for this one match, did the referees decide to take that decision in isolation without informing Leeds or Melbourne.

And even more importantly, why the hell did no one at the RFL or the referees society deign to tell the paying public that the rules would be different today. Perhaps we're not important compared to the private club run by Cummings who obviously get to decide whatever style of game will be played and when and who will have the advantage because of that.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
gpartin

Re: Holding Down at The WCC

Post by gpartin »

It was ridiculous I started out wanting Storm to win but they were holding down far too much, the game was pretty dull as a result.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I thought Leeds did enough to deserve to win, unlucky on at least 5 occasions not to score - although I can't help feeling a better winger than Watkins (Donald, for example) would have got the ball down for those two nearly-tries in the corner.

The holding down did make for a fairly tedious affair, though - I hope that's not a sign of things to come in SL.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

How the McGuire try given when he was clearly offside. Throw in the farcical Watts try for Hull KR and the RFL need to get a grip.
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

I wish people would stop whinging, Leeds lost, Melbourne won, move on to next week.

PS YAY for Billy! :devi:
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
botica

Post by botica »

Keith Senior's coments are to looked into and he could find himself in deep water. Not only did he get the penalty for disent with regards his comments to Silverwood but he also gave the press some as well.

TBH though i feel Leeds are the worst offenders for holding down in superleague and you reep what you sow.

I tried to be patriotic and it be Superleague V NRL but then i saw Ryan Bailey and Keith Senior and said C'mon Sharks....
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

In all fairness to the holding down the when the ref did say move they rolled away.Isn't there a different time scale for a dominant tackle and a surrender tackle ?
j658

Post by j658 »

Mike wrote:Why the new interpretation on holding down for one match?

But more importantly, why if that interpretation was going to changed for this one match, did the referees decide to take that decision in isolation without informing Leeds or Melbourne.

And even more importantly, why the hell did no one at the RFL or the referees society deign to tell the paying public that the rules would be different today. Perhaps we're not important compared to the private club run by Cummings who obviously get to decide whatever style of game will be played and when and who will have the advantage because of that.
From what was said in the commentary they played to international rules and that it was agreed in a meeting with both coaches.
I think it did spoil the spectacle a little but the weather is just as much to blame for that.
For me Silverwood was at least consistant for both sides, and Melbourne got to grips with it better than Leeds did.
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

I think it was like watching us V leeds.

there are a lot of Similarities between us and storm. this is not surprising and i hope we get the same result against leeds.

I did not think the holding down was that bad. I think it was highlighted way too much by a commentary team that was up Leeds (you know what) all game.

Leeds we close on four occasions but on 3 of them it was good defence by the storm. you can see the difference a good winger makes. Watkins lost leeds that game on two separate occasions. lets remember that was the storms 2nd outing as a team this year. not a bad performance from them.

If wigan ever won the super league again i would hope we would say we will come over there and we will play you mid season to make it a fair contest.

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Their sliding defence was absolutely fantastic and Leeds never really managed to get an overlap as a result. Their ability to read play was also great particularly for a team still in pre-season mode against Leeds who have clearly had their mind on the WCC for some time. With a few more games under their belts and cutting out the mistakes they are clearly going to have another great season in the NRL
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."