Briscoe gone for ever?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Briscoe gone for ever?

Post by ian.birchall »

Teletext reporting today that Shaun Briscoe has signed an extension to his contract with Hull until the end of 2007. Shame on you Maurice Lindsay. :baaa:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
robjoenz

Re: Briscoe gone for ever?

Post by robjoenz »

I think we'll have to face up to the fact that he's gone forever :( He won't want to come back to a club that told him he wasn't good enough when he's got a first team place where he is appreciated by fans and board alike.
lamisgod

Post by lamisgod »

yep i agree, Y come back to a club where he is not appreciated..(i dont include the fans there) hes getting all the plaudits at Hull an rightly so this lads come on in mammoth leaps and bounds, he plays like he's had 50 caps for his country, all the wigan fans saw his potential why not the board? this kid is class an i'm sure if he was at wigan, between him and Kris we wouldn't be looking for overseas centers on over inflated wages pushing out other in form players..just coz maybe their faces don't fit..and with the signing of blacklock a fiver bet nxt year for a full trophy cabinet @ hull maybe a shrewd bet :eh:
if football was ment to be played in the air, they'd build pitches in the Sky!

Brian Clough...
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

I didn't, and still don't agree that Briscoe should have gone, but the reality is that he was sacrificed because of the salary cap rather than anything else, the 20/20 rule not allowing us to retain him because of the number of first team appearances IIRC. Instead we offered new contracts to Lam and Dallas. Now, we've all been generally impressed with Dallas this year, but Lam seems to have been a gamble which hasn't really paid off. But if, at the end of last season, it had come down to a choice between Lam, before we knew he would get injured again, and Briscoe, who would people have picked?

Had things worked out differently we could have got rid of, say, Hodgy to keep Briscoe under the salary cap instead but his contract wasn't up for renewal last year.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Fraggle posted:
But if, at the end of last season, it had come down to a choice between Lam, before we knew he would get injured again, and Briscoe, who would people have picked?
I said back then we shouldn't have gambled with Lam. We were only going to have his services for half a season at best, we knew that, before the risk of further injuries. We should have kept Briscoe and PJ, we could have played Orr or Mark Smith at 7 with Lockers or Robinson at stand-off. We may not have had our early season slump had we had Radlinski and PJ for our 3/4 line crisis.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Robjoenz,
Totally correct, it is not as though we did not know at the time we let Briscoe go that Lam had a serious knee injury that at 34 was going to take him a long time to recover from. With our backrow talent it was also regretfully time to let Mick Cassidy go to Salford/Widnes or wherever. When we were top of the heap we were ruthless in getting rid of stars just as they began to fade, normally to Leeds, now the boot is on the other foot. It is difficult to believe that the same person is in charge, Mo must be getting more sympathetic to older players as he gets older as well. And despite his better displays before his training accident I still say that under the restrictions of salary cap rules we should never have signed Danny Orr, he could have gone to Hull and we could have kept Briscoe, Shaun Mcrae must be laughing all the way to South Sydney :eh:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
dancer

Post by dancer »

Its east to say we should have kept him. Yes it's true he is a great player I agree 100%. The question is, where was he going to get in the side ? he isnt going to displace Rads is he, he isnt a winger or a centre or a halfback. So basically you all want him to sit on the bench every week until Rads gets injured. That just isnt fair to the player himself, a player with his quality needs regular first team football everyweek. Rads still has plenty of time left in him, so that isnt an argument you can use. We cant keep every player. However we drastically needed a stand off, and we got a top quality stand off in Danny Orr.
Welski

Post by Welski »

lamisgod posted:..and with the signing of blacklock a fiver bet nxt year for a full trophy cabinet @ hull maybe a shrewd bet :eh:
Totally agree...although I wouldnt put the house on 'em I've got a feeling a certain injury ravaged team of recent seasons might just have a year to remember :wink:
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

dancer posted:
The question is, where was he going to get in the side ? he isnt going to displace Rads is he, he isnt a winger or a centre or a halfback. So basically you all want him to sit on the bench every week until Rads gets injured. That just isnt fair to the player himself, a player with his quality needs regular first team football everyweek. Rads still has plenty of time left in him, so that isnt an argument you can use.
Simple... move Radlinski to centres and play Briscoe at full-back.

How good would our defence be with Radlinski and Aspinwall as centres? Briscoe full-back and Carney and Dallas on the wings?!
Welski

Post by Welski »

[/quote]
robjoenz posted:
Simple... move Radlinski to centres and play Briscoe at full-back.

How good would our defence be with Radlinski and Aspinwall as centres? Briscoe full-back and Carney and Dallas on the wings?!
Blooooming Watertight mate.(drool)

Defences win matches you've only got to see what happened to England RU team when Phil Larder applied RL ethics to the defence. Good side to world champs.

I must admit I wasnt convinced about Briscoe but since his move...I have to say he is the form full back in SL and if he continues this kind of form will be giving Rads something to think about come representative hounours. (not just yet tho' :wink:)
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League