New Super league Licenses

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Yorks_Loyal

Re: New Super league Licenses

Post by Yorks_Loyal »

cpwigan wrote:I think Sheffield are moving to Bramhall Lane
Were did you hear this? I may be wrong but I very much doubt that the bLades will have them there. Unless there was some substaial finacial gain in it for them.
Mikey800

Post by Mikey800 »

Taken from Eagles website:

APRIL DATE FOR MOVE TO BRAMALL LANE
The move to Sheffield United’s ground will now be in April because of work on the pitch.

The Eagles will play their first game at Bramall Lane against Featherstone Rovers on Sunday 11 April.

The decision was made because of work needed on Sheffield United’s pitch in the aftermath of the ‘big freeze’.

The game against Dewsbury Rams is now switched to Friday 19 March at Don Valley Stadium with a 7.30pm kick-off.

The other game affected is the visit of Barrow, originally planned for Monday 5 April. The clubs have already agreed to switch fixtures with the game being played at Barrow on Monday 5 April, 3pm. The return will be played at Don Valley Stadium on Sunday 27 June, kick-off 3pm.

Eagles’ chief executive and head coach Mark Aston said: “The recent cold spell has taken a toll on all sports clubs. With Sheffield United we desire for the best possible playing surface.”

“As planned we will still be playing the majority of our home Championship games at Bramall Lane this season.”

Sheffield United’s Operations Director Simon Argall said: “We have met with representatives from the Eagles to consider the forthcoming fixture list and Eagles� home games at Bramall Lane.”

“The meeting reviewed the current pitch conditions and playing surface, taking into account the impact of the recent severe winter weather and the likelihood of a further cold snap. Both clubs want to play on the best possible surface at Bramall Lane so, taking the weather factors into account, the planned home games against Dewsbury and Barrow have been switched.”

"Well, it seemed like a good idea" he said, as the paramedics slowly lifted him into the waiting ambulance
Yorks_Loyal

Post by Yorks_Loyal »

Mikey800 wrote:Taken from Eagles website:

APRIL DATE FOR MOVE TO BRAMALL LANE
The move to Sheffield United’s ground will now be in April because of work on the pitch.

The Eagles will play their first game at Bramall Lane against Featherstone Rovers on Sunday 11 April.

The decision was made because of work needed on Sheffield United’s pitch in the aftermath of the ‘big freeze’.

The game against Dewsbury Rams is now switched to Friday 19 March at Don Valley Stadium with a 7.30pm kick-off.

The other game affected is the visit of Barrow, originally planned for Monday 5 April. The clubs have already agreed to switch fixtures with the game being played at Barrow on Monday 5 April, 3pm. The return will be played at Don Valley Stadium on Sunday 27 June, kick-off 3pm.

Eagles’ chief executive and head coach Mark Aston said: “The recent cold spell has taken a toll on all sports clubs. With Sheffield United we desire for the best possible playing surface.”

“As planned we will still be playing the majority of our home Championship games at Bramall Lane this season.”

Sheffield United’s Operations Director Simon Argall said: “We have met with representatives from the Eagles to consider the forthcoming fixture list and Eagles� home games at Bramall Lane.”

“The meeting reviewed the current pitch conditions and playing surface, taking into account the impact of the recent severe winter weather and the likelihood of a further cold snap. Both clubs want to play on the best possible surface at Bramall Lane so, taking the weather factors into account, the planned home games against Dewsbury and Barrow have been switched.”

Wow I am absoulutly gob smacked. If somehow they can win something this year or get to a final, and promote RL in sheffield/south yorkshire with this move, then they have just put themselves right in the race for a new license.

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Widnes surely have to get a licence this time? They have been shafted too many times by the RFL. One of the reasons they had all the financial trouble was their being removed from Superleague despite not finishing last to allow the Dragons in.
Toulouse will almost certainly get a place, because they are French, lets face it they should have started off in championship two but didn't.
Leigh are another team shouting about SL, but the basic flaw in their argument is that the brand new purpose built sports village doesn't hold the requsite 12,000 capacity. OOPS!
Halifax stadium is being worked on. I believe the Barrow chairman has said he's not that interested in SL.
Wakefied and Cas need to share a ground but remain two separate clubs, that just seems logical, but perhaps logic cannot be applied to something that generates as much passion as Rugby League.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN wrote:The stadium is only a small part of the points system, though (something like 1 point out of 12? - DaveO will correct me if not...) - they quite rightly also look at things like attendances, youth system, finances and the like, which are just as important. The only criterion I don't think should have as much weight as it does is the location, although I see why they include it (they have to find some way of knocking points off us...).
I think the thing about the stadium is that it must be up to standard or that can have really serious effect on a license application regardless of how many points it's worth.

I am sure the RFL have said some clubs made promises about new grounds and must deliver which leaves Wakey and Salford in trouble. That said I don't think the RFL will have the guts to drop Wakey who will do quite well again this season IMO. So Salford are the ones in trouble.

It's also been posted on rlfans Toulouse don't have to meet the playing criteria other NL sides do to get a license.

Dave
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Apparently Toulouse's criteria s different. They (The RFL) will judge to see if there are enough French players to support two super league teams of a reasonable standard... which may mean offering contracts to 1/3 of the Catalans current playing staff I reckon, hiring from French RU and promoting from their youth systems... which I guess they would be doing in vast amounts this years for early preparation.

Location will not be a factor for obvious reasons and would be pointless exercise for a ghost point and show that they have the backing and finances available along with a TV contract from a French network
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame