Paul Cooke set for move to Wakefield

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Panchitta Marra

Paul Cooke set for move to Wakefield

Post by Panchitta Marra »

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... field.html

Sorry no good with links, however this was taken from the above Sporting Life Link.

Hull KR's out-of-favour stand-off Paul Cooke is poised to join Super League rivals Wakefield on loan.

The 28-year-old former Hull favourite was dropped for a second time by Rovers coach Justin Morgan last month and looks to have played his last match for the Robins.

Cooke is expected to join the Wildcats until the end of the season, when his contract at Craven Park expires.

Neither club will confirm the deal but the player is thought to have told his Rovers team-mates of the move at training on Tuesday.

Cooke, who turned down a chance to join Crusaders in the close season, has been linked in the past with a move to Wakefield, where he will be reunited with his former Hull half-back partner Danny Brough and long-time admirer John Kear.

It was Cooke, playing at loose forward, who scored the all important try with three minutes to go and Brough landed the conversion to give Kear-coached Hull a 25-24 win over Leeds in the 2005 Challenge Cup final at the Millennium Stadium.

The Wildcats suffered a humiliating 52-0 home defeat by Huddersfield last Saturday and, ironically face Hull KR in their next match at Craven Park on Friday.

The former England international stunned the rugby league world with his cross-city move from Hull FC to Rovers in 2007.

He was subsequently handed a four month ban after being found guilty of making an illegal approach.

Fixed your link PM - Josie
:)
exile in Tiger country

Re: Paul Cooke set for move to Wakefield

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Good move for Wakey, Cooke and Brough under Kear again. Great combination.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Worst kept secret in SL this year so far.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

gpartin wrote:Worst kept secret in SL this year so far.
Surely that award has to go to Gareth Thomas to Crusaders?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

He's a party animal by all accounts. Hull FC fans are loving it that its not worked out for him at Rovers.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

He allegedly has a big binge drinking problem - all evidenced by his well publicised troubles with fighting in pubs, smacking his missus about and getting banned for drink driving.

Nice chap.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wakefield finally got their man on Friday when Paul Cooke, Hull KR's out-of-favour stand-off, joined them on a short-term contract. The 28 year-old former Hull favourite will go straight into the squad for Sunday's home game against Salford.

Cooke was initially expected to move to the Wildcats on loan but instead signed a deal to the end of the season after Rovers granted him a release.

"It's taken a fair bit of getting over the finish line but Paul is now officially a Wakefield player until November 2010," Wildcats coach John Kear said.

The controversial Cooke was under contract at Craven Park to the end of the season but he was dropped for a second time by Rovers coach Justin Morgan last month and faced the prospect of being frozen out of the game.

"The decision came down to whether to play rugby league or not to play rugby league," Cooke said.
"I have been a rugby league player since the age of eight and I want to continue to do that."

Cooke was relieved to have finally resolved his short-term future and insists he will be ready to begin the next stage of his career immediately.
"I've spent all my life in Hull and still have many friends from both sides of the city," he said.
"Of course it's a sad time whenever you leave anything on maybe not the right terms but it's a big opportunity to play for a club I've had many a battle with over the years.
"The last three weeks have been quite strenuous for me and the people who are close to me because I become quite moody when I'm not playing rugby league.
"It's difficult to keep as fit as you can with not playing rugby and not getting the bumps and bruises but I'm quite aerobically fit and physically fit."

Cooke stunned the rugby league world with his cross-city move from Hull FC to Rovers in 2007 and was subsequently handed a four-month ban after being found guilty of making an illegal approach.

He turned down a chance to join Wrexham-based Crusaders in the close season because he is keen to maintain close contact with his young daughter, who lives in Hull, and now has six months in the shop window to earn a new contract.
Kear has been a long-time admirer of the ball-handling talents of the former England international, but there is unlikely to be a reunion for Cooke with his old Hull half-back partner Danny Brough, who is poised to complete a move to Huddersfield early next week.

It was Cooke who scored the all-important try with three minutes to go and Brough landed the conversion to help give Kear-coached Hull a 25-24 win over Leeds in the 2005 Challenge Cup final at the Millennium Stadium.
Although Brough is also thought to be wanted by Catalans Dragons, the Giants remain firm favourites for his signature, with Wakefield set to receive at least one player and possibly cash in exchange.

Brough was named in Kear's 19-man squad alongside Cooke, raising the slim possibility of one last match together.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyl ... ulder.html
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Fixed your link Josie, it wasn't working for some reason.

I have spoken to a friend of Cookes and he was offered 2 years at a rate far less than his Rovers deal. He wasn't happy but agreed to a year to prove himself and renegotiate 2nd year at higher rate. The most interesting thing he said imo was that Crusaders offered more than Rovers were paying him! What with other speculation I wonder if the RFL are helping out?

botica

Post by botica »

And after all the trouble with the transfer in the fist place!!
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

gpartin wrote:Fixed your link Josie, it wasn't working for some reason.
Thanks Gaz :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan