Brown to play out of position in 2005?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Brown to play out of position in 2005?

Post by ian.birchall »

Looks like I have lost my campaign to have Kevin Brown playing in his rightful position next season.
If we have cut Hodgson it would seem that the powers that be intend playing Brown as 3rd choice centre not 1st choice stand off.
I am still worried that Radlinski and Farrell are costing us too much with their RU scare off salaries and that is causing us to lose too many other good players. :doz:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
GeoffN

Re: Brown to play out of posit...

Post by GeoffN »

I think more likely 4th choice, behind Aspi, Vaialiki and Wild.
Maybe on Rads & Faz, but they're worth it! If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Brown to play out of p...

Post by Mike »

I think Brown as backup stand-off would be a good progression for him. After all, Danny McGuire was used sparingly with Leeds for a couple of years so as to minimise the pressure on him, and they have reaped the rewards of this policy this season.

I reckon Brown is two years behind compared to the development of McGuire in the stand-off role. He needs a season of being on the bench, but regularly stepping into the position after half time and making a real impact. He needs this lead in before he can make the starting line-up with enough confidence to do the job, and I don't think he has had a long or stable enough run in this role yet.

If the Long deal fails to go through (or the rumour is wrong) and Luke doesn't make the grade next year you may get your wish, with Orr switching to scrum half and Brown in at stand-off. I would worry that this will be too much for him. I think Luke Robinson's apparent slump in form is mainly down to the pressure of expectation that he puts upon himself. After all, when he first stepped into the side we had heard good things, but didn't expect too much. He exceeded those expectations, as did Brown, but the pressure to keep meeting those high standards at a much higher level than he has ever played at before must affect a young player after a while.

Hopefully we can avoid this with Brown and Luke can get his confidence back towards the end of this season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Agreed, Mike. I see Kevin and Luke as our long-term prospects, but not right now. Luke in particular needs some time with
(a) a settled and experienced #6 alongside (ie Orr)
(b) a more dominant pack in front.

Kevin's situation is different, he's proved he can handle the "big time", albeit in other positions. He's not yet had much chance to show what he can do at#6 with the first team.

ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

GeoffN, not sure I agree with you on Radlinski anymore, his replacement ,at Hull, boo, would have cost us £100k or more less and we could have kept Johnson and Hodgson. In this day of salary caps its not enough to be good, you have to be at leasr reasonable in your wage demands. We all heard last year that Craig Smith and Brett Dallas took lower salaries to remain with Wigan, why not Radlinski when he is not outstandingly the best in the league anymore.
How is the coffee bar he owns with Neil Cowie doing in Wigan? :doz:
I worry that Mike could be right on salaries to antipodeans, it worried me greatly when the Eels said it was a chance for Vaealiki to 'set himself up for life'
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I still think he's the best around, for now, although Briscoe is catching up fast. Rads is a certainty for the GB spot (if he stays fit) and I'd say he's won (or saved) more games for us than even Faz has. Top try scorer in Superleague? And this year's Man of Steel? (?)

We'd have been up in arms if those 2 had followed Billy Whizz into Yawnion back then.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

GeoffN, not sure he is the best around these days, he is after all only one armed, I have still to see him collar somebody breaking past him on his right this season :doz: Talking about kick and cr*p did you see that Phil Jones has left bankrupt Rotherhan RU and signed for the Centurions. There was another no 6 who flattered to deceive.