WELLENS OUT FOR A MONTH

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
GeoffN

WELLENS OUT FOR A MONTH

Post by GeoffN »

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... elens.html
St Helens will be without full-back Paul Wellens for a month with a torn quad muscle.

The England international went off with what was thought to be a recurrence of a "dead leg" in last Friday's 28-18 win over Warrington but scans have revealed a tear in his quad.

It is a major blow for Saints ahead of Sunday's trip to third-placed Huddersfield and the busy Easter programme which features matches against Wigan and Castleford.

With Wellens' natural understudy Jonny Lomax also sidelined through injury, coach Mick Potter is likely to switch Matt Gidley from the centre, although he also has the option of moving Kyle Eastmond from scrum half.
That's a pity, I was looking forward to seeing Amos running round him.
weststand-rich

Re: WELLENS OUT FOR A MONTH

Post by weststand-rich »

I was just going to post on this - you beat me to it Geoff.

You get the feeling with Saints this year, that they've just kept hold of their main players just that bit too long and they're past their best.

Roll on Good Friday!!!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Lets be realistic, any replacemenbt that is even half decent will be far quicker than Wellens. He can read a play well to be under a kick, but quick he ain't.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Very true with a good licking game its really easy to expose Wellens by making him turn. Any replacement will be quicker at dealing with it, although I don't particularly think our long kicking game has been anything special this year.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

:eusa2: :eusa2:
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Incidentally I meant kicking game rather than licking game. I have no idea what the players get upto in their own time and quite frankly its none of my business :wink:
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Poor Paul.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

ancientnloyal wrote:Poor Paul.
Haha nice one!

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

mickw wrote:granted he`s not the quickest but he`s a big loss for them,his legs have gone but he`s got a good brain on him and great positional sense i hope he`s missing next week.
I would play Wellens at Loose Forward, defensively he is still strong, he has a good set of hands and is still a clever player, albeit slowing down somewhat.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

mickw wrote:granted he`s not the quickest but he`s a big loss for them,his legs have gone but he`s got a good brain on him and great positional sense i hope he`s missing next week.
Did he ever have legs in the first place?? :eh: