Playoffs

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
lawson91

Playoffs

Post by lawson91 »

I don't like the play off system that was installed last season, I love the fact there is now 14 teams in super league. However it just seems a little too easy to break into the top 8. they should of kept it at 6. Does anyone agree?
superleague

Re: Playoffs

Post by superleague »

lawson91 wrote: I don't like the play off system that was installed last season, I love the fact there is now 14 teams in super league. However it just seems a little too easy to break into the top 8. they should of kept it at 6. Does anyone agree?
i agree
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

I made a radical suggestion last year, given that the top players get very little off time, with pre season starting before the internationals end almost.
Play each team once at your home ground and once at their ground.
Give two points to the winners and a point each for a draw.
At the end of the season whoever has the most points wins.
Call me crazy, but it might just work, and be a better reflection of who really is the best side.

But yes you are right, they were discussing on SKY last night that a team like Leeds could easily win from 8th place the way it is now, and as Clarkey pointed out last year, 8th is in the bottom half so really it rewards mediocrity.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I've always thought that a simple league system is a better system for the purist and is beneficial to the clubs in two ways. Firstly there are fewer games putting the emphasis on higher quality and secondly it gives a more accurate reflection of who the most consistent side is.
I don't think anyone should be winning the Superleague from 8th place.
However, Rugby League is a product and the playoffs do create some very good games. But more importantly, it is all about money and the playoffs do generate a lot of it. Regardless of what we think, I fear the playoffs are here to stay.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

unfortunately true, because most if not all of the money from play off games goes to the RFL and not the clubs involved.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

I love the playoff system and I also like the idea of teams trying to finish top. There is no reason why the current system couldn't stay as it is without finishing top being so devalued. Why don't the RFL make it far more attractive to clubs by making finishing top a bigger incentive by increasing the prize money to the clubs or giving a set bonus to 1st teamers from the top team?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I quite liked the old Premiership trophy with the 'double header' at Old Traffird at the end of the season. It strikes me that you get the best of both worlds there and provided the revenue is the same, I would love to go back to that system.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think you got to look at it as a seperate comp.

I dont see the point in having the play off system were the side that finishes top or second get's 2 stabs at it. Ok you could say it rewards their season, but is that not what the winners shield is for. It just means that every single year you know 90% whoever finishes top or 2nd will be in and win the gf.

Should be top 6 and names in a hat knockout comp.

or do away with it.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure