Saints game & Prospects

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
dany2k

Saints game & Prospects

Post by dany2k »

Hey all,

Long time London-based Wigan fan here to make my first ever post on this MB. Was introduced to the beautiful game of Rugby league by my stepdad (From Ashton-in-Makerfield) about 10-12 years ago and have loved Wigan ever since!

Anyway, boring part aside, I thought tonight was a good example of our recent dip in form. A month or so ago I had high hopes of a real push, but despite tonights win, we at times looked unconvincing and I think our challenge for the Grand Final is slowly petering out (and I had HUGE hopes for this season after last years GF). It would be nice if we could get to third place, but we would need to win all our remaining games (inc. Leeds at home and London away), and hope Bradford slip up away to Hull and Leeds in their next two games. If we reach the final eliminator before the GF, then I would be fairly satisfied.

I'm usually a massive Terry Newton fan, but just lately his in-yer-face tactics are deteriorating into out-and-out cheating, and say what you like about the Saints players tactics tonight, I don't think they were as bad as Newtons horrendous tackle on Wilkin. The only players that deserved that on the Saints team tonight were Sculthorpe (who to me looks less skilled, and more of a cheat everytime I watch him) and possibly Fozzard. Terry needs to get back to what he does best, support play, and irratating but not decapitating opposing players.

Any comments?
Fraggle

Re: Saints game & Prospect...

Post by Fraggle »

dany2k posted:
Anyway, boring part aside, I thought tonight was a good example of our recent dip in form. A month or so ago I had high hopes of a real push, but despite tonights win, we at times looked unconvincing and I think our challenge for the Grand Final is slowly petering out

I'm usually a massive Terry Newton fan, but just lately his in-yer-face tactics are deteriorating into out-and-out cheating, and say what you like about the Saints players tactics tonight, I don't think they were as bad as Newtons horrendous tackle on Wilkin. The only players that deserved that on the Saints team tonight were Sculthorpe (who to me looks less skilled, and more of a cheat everytime I watch him) and possibly Fozzard. Terry needs to get back to what he does best, support play, and irratating but not decapitating opposing players.

Any comments?
I can't say I disagree with this, although I think there are more twists and turns yet. Bradford may well lose to Leeds this weekend, that will open things up a bit more. Leeds the week after is the only game I think we might struggle with, unless Wires are still fighting for 6th at the end of the season (and I think Wakefield probably deserve that slot, they've been impressive this year).

As for Newton's challenge, I thought Hooper was as bad with his very late, cynical take-out of Lam. Newton wasn't late, but what I saw of the tackle didn't look very good. He got away with it a few times against Bradford last week, and does seem to be regressing a bit into his old Leeds tactics. His persistence of trying to dive over the line from dummy half against half a dozen defenders is also getting a bit annoying, he just doesn't have the skill at that maneuver that Jimmy Lowes used to have. Scully a cheat? Like Lowes he has seemingly forgotten how to play fairly, and no-one can argue Scully can be a superb player, but he's more into bad tackles and lots of verbals now. Fozzy and Mason don't have that excuse, they've always been just sh!te rugby players.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
dany2k

Re: Saints game & Pros...

Post by dany2k »

Yeah, I used to be a fan of P.Sculthorpe (well, as much a fan as you can be considering he plays for the Saints) but for a captain, he seems very easy to wind up. I saw two examples tonight, the first being when Hock gave him a little tap on the face, and he reacted with a meaty looking punch. He also lost it (unwisely!) against Faz at the Good Friday clash. I think we all know who would come up trumps there!

Anyway, as for the chase for third place, I can see Bradford losing to both Hull and Leeds, but with our away record this season I don't trust us to get the result we would need at London. Sure, we will be favourites, but still....hmmmm. Im obviously ultra confident for the games away to (the awful) Widnes and home to Wire, and if we could beat both Leeds at home and London away, then surely we deserve to finish third!

I'm usually much more optimistic than my dad RE: Wigans prospects, but I think we're running out of steam, and will have to settle for fourth. Next year, we urgently need to address our away form if we are to achieve anything.