St Helens captain Keiron Cunningham eyes Wigan win

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_l ... 597076.stm

Keiron Cunningham is set to retire from the sport at the end of the season
St Helens captain Keiron Cunningham says it will be an emotional occasion when he leads out his side for the last derby against Wigan at Knowsley Road.

"This is the last game at Knowsley Road on a Good Friday so we've got to have a bit of a say in that," Cunningham told BBC Radio Merseyside.

"It's very special. It means a lot to me. I've ticked a lot of boxes in my career and this is another one for me.

"We've so many great memories of Good Friday at Knowsley Road," he added.

"I don't even like to think how many games I've played in."

Saints will move from their 120-year-old home at the end of this season for a brand new stadium.

And, although comparatively new to the fixture at just 20, half-back Kyle Eastmond know the importance of beating Wigan.

Sam and Thomas Leuluai are a good half-backs pairing and Amos Roberts is looking really dangerous at the moment

St Helens half-back Kyle Eastmond
"This is a massive game, not just for the two teams but for the town of St Helens," he said.

"We're going to do all we can to get the win our fans deserve in the last derby at Knowsley Road.

"We're all aware of what it means to everyone. Nobody wants to be part of a losing team in a derby but this one is extra special."

Both teams go into the derby in strong form with a number of mouth-watering personal duels anticipated.

The clash between Eastmond and Wigan stand-off Sam Tomkins will go a long way towards determining which club secures bragging rights.

And Eastmond is looking forward to going up against his England team-mate.

"We've played against each other since we were kids and it's always good to test myself against Sam," said Eastmond. "We usually bring out the best in each other.

Cannot play media.You do not have the correct version of the flash player. Download the correct version
"He's an absolutely awesome player who's going to be one of the greats.

"However, Sam is not the only dangerous player in the Wigan ranks and we know we have to play the whole team, not just individuals.

"Sam and Thomas Leuluai are a good half-back pairing and Amos Roberts is looking really dangerous at the moment so obviously we will have to keep a close eye on him.

"We have to concentrate and give them the respect they deserve."