First Driving Lesson

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
cpwigan

Re: First Driving Lesson

Post by cpwigan »

I think now PM and I am not 100% sure because I am too old that now all the theory stuff is done in a separate examination that learners have to pass with the test being about driving.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

You are correct CP, its now a 2 part theory test part written and part hazard perception, now i am too old to have needed to do the hazard perecption bit but i have seen it and all i would say to any driver learning at the moment.

By all means learn it and pass it but as soon as you do forget it completely!!!. While your on the road you cannot afford to see a hazard only as a car pulling out a junction or a kid playing with a ball etc, everything, and i mean everything is a potential hazard you must be takling everything in

I have real issue with that hazard perception test, i realise what they are trying to do but they should not teach you only certain things are hazards, when your driving everythings a hazard including yourself!.

I was once driving and a bottle of pop rolled off the back seat under my chair and wedged under the brake meaning i couldn't press it, anything can happen when your driving and you need to always be second guessing, "what if that guy pulls out?, what if they slam on?, what if that kid runs out?, what if someones stopped round that blind corner?"
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:I think now PM and I am not 100% sure because I am too old that now all the theory stuff is done in a separate examination that learners have to pass with the test being about driving.
And who said Dinosaur's couldnt drive. :lol:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Don't have a full licence, never had any driving lessons don't believe in insurance or road tax, i just drive around without any, one of these days i'll get caught, just hope it isn't when i've been drinking or been on Gaz Hocks friendly helper
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

medlocke wrote:Don't have a full licence, never had any driving lessons don't believe in insurance or road tax, i just drive around without any, one of these days i'll get caught, just hope it isn't when i've been drinking or been on Gaz Hocks friendly helper
One hopes that the above is just you pretending to be a prat
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cpwigan wrote:
medlocke wrote:Don't have a full licence, never had any driving lessons don't believe in insurance or road tax, i just drive around without any, one of these days i'll get caught, just hope it isn't when i've been drinking or been on Gaz Hocks friendly helper
One hopes that the above is just you pretending to be a prat
Indeed, was bored so let my imagination run wild, on my first lesson i sat in a stationary car for 30 minutes while the instructor explained everything that i already knew, using mirrors, where the clutch is etc, we then went for a spin out of town through the valley where i nearly hot an infamous barn.

I don't like driving, after the 8 lessons i had i lost me job so have never got around to doing it, that 13 year ago, i get headaches while driving die to concentrating to much, i find it way easier to ride bikes, theres no passenger side of the car to worry about, i'll probly get round to doing it when i win the lotto
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I really nead a new keyboard, half the letters have worn off this one hence the i's & o's getting mixed up
Valanc26

Post by Valanc26 »

My first lesson was quite bad as got hit to a car but was lucky as I was safe. Now taking my lessons from Port Macquarie Driving School. It is very famous and came to know about it on internet. Learning defensive driving quickly and glad joined this school.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Nice little advert for you Robert?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

THE 18th Man wrote:did my first driving lesson today and was just wondering how others got on when they were doing there first lesson.

i stalled 3 times and a bit pissed off with myself about it but wanted to know how others felt after their first lesson and any tips would be much appreciated.
I will tell you a tale of my experiences learning to drive. My first lesson were when I was 18 but came to an end when I went to Uni. Never got around to taking my test.

I finished up living in London and just didn't need to drive so only ended up learning again in my late 20's.

I had my lessons after work. I worked in an office in the West End not far from Oxford street. So I arranged to meet the instructor outside this pub not far from Oxford Circus and fir the first lesson he sits me in the driver's seat.

Next we are off heading towards Marble Arch. He then says, "Right were are going to this estate that is the other side of Marble Arch so you are going to have to drive around it. Just look straight ahead turn when I tell you and I will do the gears with the dual control."

So my first lesson after over 10 years not sitting in a car, I drove around Marble Arch in London. In rush hour.

After a few lessons and a few more trips around Marble Arch I turned up one night and no instructor. Rang the driving school the next day who told me they had found his car with the keys in and he had walked! Not sure if it was my driving or just the stress of being an instructor in London. Anyway a few more lessons and I tried the test and failed.

I decided as I had no car myself and no one to practice with outside the lessons this wasn't going to work so I did one of those crash courses where you drive solid for week, lessons morning and afternoon and then take the test at the end. I passed.

I then changed jobs and the new one came with a company car and I ended up with a Peugeot 206 GTI as my first car. In London still.

I was probably a complete menace!