Warriors Donate Tickets to Troops

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrDave

Warriors Donate Tickets to Troops

Post by MrDave »

From Official site:

Wigan Warriors have donated over £10,000's worth of match tickets to the British Army for Friday's St George's Day Celebration game against Harlequins at the DW Stadium, 8pm kick off.

The Warriors have worked closely with the Army, both regular and territorial, as well as the Royal British Legion, Cadets, Help for Heroes, the Army Benevolent Fund and Support our Soldiers to celebrate England's National Day in style.

Warriors CEO Mick Hogan said,

"We have a policy at the Club where we don't issue complimentary tickets, however having worked so closely with the Armed Forces over the past five years we were delighted to offer five hundred tickets to soldiers who protect the country and work tirelessly in local communities across the world. Many of those who will be attending have recently returned from war and this is an opportunity for them to spend some quality time with their families whilst enjoying a Warriors game."

Tickets are still available for the game from the DW Stadium Ticket Office and by calling 0871 66 33 552. Already over 15,000 tickets have been sold which guarantees the highest attendance between Wigan and Harlequins, with the Super League regular season record crowd for a Harlequins game of 15,592 (set against Hull in 2009) firmly now in sight.
Kittwazzer

Re: Warriors Donate Tickets to Troops

Post by Kittwazzer »

Brilliant!

We fill our ground on Englands National Day and our team gets support from all four sides!

T'other team has to offer free coach rides to London to get support!
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Great idea. Can they get them to sit in the south stand so they can sort the chavs out when they misbehave :)
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Superb. Almost a pitty it not on TV for SKY to see and commentate upon.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Great idea! A worthy cause and hopefully a few will realise how a great game we have!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

cpwigan wrote:Superb. Almost a pitty it not on TV for SKY to see and commentate upon.
I agree with that. I dismay sometimes at the stuff Sky show in regards to union. Whether it be an injury of a social event sky always seems to get a news article in for union but almost nothing for league. This would be good PR but I bet it doesn't get a mention. If it was union they would have a camera down to the club and interview the club and an army spokesman.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Fujiman wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Superb. Almost a pitty it not on TV for SKY to see and commentate upon.
I agree with that. I dismay sometimes at the stuff Sky show in regards to union. Whether it be an injury of a social event sky always seems to get a news article in for union but almost nothing for league. This would be good PR but I bet it doesn't get a mention. If it was union they would have a camera down to the club and interview the club and an army spokesman.
Very true, and that despite the fact that viewing figures for SL games are vastly higher than for RU.

Great move by the club, though, even if it doesn't get the publicity it deserves.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Get them all on the pitch and give em a resounding clap IMO they deserve it !
That sounds like a good idea. It would be good if they were in uniform and could parade around the pitch before taking their seats so that everyone could show there appreciation for the job they area doing
Susi

Post by Susi »

Totally with you ther 200%.These Men and women risk theirr lifes every day and deserve to be shown respect and appreciation.
Nice move club too
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

A nice decision by the club even though Mick Hogan seems to be very strict and fully committed to his policies of free ticketing.

The forces have always helped us out each week be it abseiling from the roof on the occasion, demonstrating fighting/combat to weekly help form the local TA centre removing the dance mat.

I am sure the St George's Day theme has something to do with it but it doesn't matter - well deserved.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame