Fans Asked to Name Cup Great - who's your vote?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Fans Asked to Name Cup Great - who's your vote?

Post by ancientnloyal »

Brett Kenny or John Ferguson? Dean Bell or Kevin Iro?

Those are the questions facing Wigan Warriors fans in a new poll to find the greatest overseas player ever to have played in the Rugby League Challenge Cup.

Countless truly world class players from the southern hemisphere have paraded their skills in Rugby League's oldest and most prestigious knockout competition throughout its 113-year history and the RFL has today launched a search to identify the one star who has shone brightest.

Last year's Carnegie Challenge Cup final saw Warrington's Michael Monaghan become only the third Australian player to win the Lance Todd Trophy as man of the match in a Wembley final but scores of his fellow countrymen have thrilled fans in this country down the years.

So, too, have hundreds of Kiwis, South Sea Islanders, Papuans and players from other countries such as South Africa, the homeland of St Helens legend Tom Van Vollenhoven, and the RFL would like to know which overseas player is the best in the tournament's history.

"Rugby League fans responded in their thousands to identify Sheffield Eagles' Wembley victory over Wigan in 1998 as the greatest Challenge Cup giant-killing act of all time in our recent poll and I'm sure even more will have equally strong views on who the best overseas player has been," said the RFL's Media Manager John Ledger.

"Although overseas stars have helped make many finals memorable, our search isn't restricted to the players who have played at Wembley.

"We would like to hear from fans of as many clubs as possible to identify the greatest overseas player in the history of the Challenge Cup."

Fans are asked to send an e-mail with the subject ‘Greatest Overseas Player' to john.ledger@rfl.uk.com stating their favourite player's name and a brief explanation as to why they feel he should win the poll.

Everyone who submits their entry before the closing date of Friday April 30 will be entered into a draw to win a pair of tickets for the 2010 Carnegie Challenge Cup Final at Wembley on Saturday August 28.
Brett Kenny - no question. Although Kevin Iro scored some double's '85 was Magic.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
MrDave

Re: Fans Asked to Name Cup Great - who's your vote?

Post by MrDave »

ancientnloyal wrote:Brett Kenny - no question. Although Kevin Iro scored some double's '85 was Magic.
Unfortunately I never saw any of the players mentioned play and I've only seen Wigan win the Challenge Cup in 2002 so my Cup great would be Kris Radlinski more specifically his foot :lol:
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

im in the same position as MrDave so i'll go for Adrian Lam, mainly because he's my idol growing up but Rads gets my vote if it has to go off Lance Todd Trophy winners
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is overseas players only. I do not think he will get it but Iro has a very good case given his efforts in several finals and try scoring feats. Kenny and Chika have a massive pull though given how special the 85 final was.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

What is it this year with the RFL and their stupid press releases to every club. Surely they have better things they could be spending money on other than this and the fact that 90% of blokes will miss a party to watch Wigan V Saints.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

MrDave

Post by MrDave »

gpartin wrote:What is it this year with the RFL and their stupid press releases to every club. Surely they have better things they could be spending money on other than this and the fact that 90% of blokes will miss a party to watch Wigan V Saints.
You should hear the criticism the RFL marketing team are getting for renaming the Murrayfield Magic weekend to the "Wacky Weekend". Not the best marketing since after seeing the name and posters in Scotland the Scots think it's some sort of kids event.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Deano.

Only Shaun has a better CC record.
mave the rave

Post by mave the rave »

Dean Bell for me the toughest overseas player had a lot of bad facial injuries in his time for Wigan but always first to put his hand up to play on .Botica the boot also the hours of practice he used to put in well worth a mention.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Certainly Dean Bell for me.This is a man that shed blood for Wigan on more than one occasion.You would have thought he was born and bred in Wigan the desire he put into the game. :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Dean Bell for me, no two ways about it :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan