Crusaders 19 Bradford 0

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: Crusaders 19 Bradford 0

Post by cpwigan »

Mave it could be argued that RL has been in existence in Wales for as long as it has in places like Salford and it has come and gone, never truly worked.

No club enjoys the luxury that the Crusaders do re a Quota and Wigan have never had so many imports in their team.

Incidents like the visa debacle of last year brought negative publicity not positive publicity.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:
No club enjoys the luxury that the Crusaders do re a Quota and Wigan have never had so many imports in their team.
London Broncos did, when they started, as did Catalans. I suspect Crusaders are on the same "annual quota reduction" system, though I haven't seen it publicised anywhere.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

exile in Tiger country wrote: No developmet, no expansion with this team 30 miles from Widnes.
You would not say that if you lived here.

I live in Chester a few mile down the road from Wrexham and despite it's proximity to Widnes the game of RL may as well not exist. It's just not on the Radar and Sale RU is what you are most likely to see as far as replica shirts go in Chester and Ospreys in North Wales (Llandudno have a number of juniors on their books).

Believe it or not this does actually count for expansion IMO because it's brought RL to a new area. It's been quite surprising to see how many people mention them around here. I am talking friends and acquaintances who have taken an interest in the game they never did before.

I was not in favour of them moving from South Wales myself seeing that as the natural place for a Welsh team to start but I do believe the Crusaders has caught the locals imagination and a key part of that is the small success they have had on the field so far.

Whether it's a flash in the pan or they will put roots down I don't know but I believe the locals are really enjoying having a team in the top tier of a top sport and they are the talk of the town.

Dave
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

DaveO wrote:
exile in Tiger country wrote: No developmet, no expansion with this team 30 miles from Widnes.
You would not say that if you lived here.

I live in Chester a few mile down the road from Wrexham and despite it's proximity to Widnes the game of RL may as well not exist. It's just not on the Radar and Sale RU is what you are most likely to see as far as replica shirts go in Chester and Ospreys in North Wales (Llandudno have a number of juniors on their books).

Believe it or not this does actually count for expansion IMO because it's brought RL to a new area. It's been quite surprising to see how many people mention them around here. I am talking friends and acquaintances who have taken an interest in the game they never did before.

I was not in favour of them moving from South Wales myself seeing that as the natural place for a Welsh team to start but I do believe the Crusaders has caught the locals imagination and a key part of that is the small success they have had on the field so far.

Whether it's a flash in the pan or they will put roots down I don't know but I believe the locals are really enjoying having a team in the top tier of a top sport and they are the talk of the town.

Dave
Have to agree with you.
working at Airbus, there were very few people that ever mentioned RL in the office,now I get a few comments on how "we" (Crusaders)played over the weekend and know of a fair few that go to all the home games and are now starting to travel away as well.

Still don't agree with how the club was allowed to up sticks, but you can't blame the players or coaching staff for that. Looking forward to a sell out in a few weeks time and hopefully not too much gloating in the office!
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

There was a fair contingent of Wrexham/Crusaders fans there at teh weekend in Edinburgh and the Wrexham flg flew on the bandstand all weekend.
Jim
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

highland convert wrote:There was a fair contingent of Wrexham/Crusaders fans there at teh weekend in Edinburgh and the Wrexham flg flew on the bandstand all weekend.
Jim
I saw none, and no Salford fans (surprisingly) at all. Wrexham FC
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Strange. I saw both. In fact at the end of the Crusaders game I was speaking to a couple of salford lads. The were disappointed in the score because the Crusaders got the points. There were a large contingent of Salford fans in the North Stand during their match. Also a lot of them in fancy dress,
Jim
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

albeit i did only go for the sunday...
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame