Where's the crowd?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
old hooker

Re: Where's the crowd?

Post by old hooker »

ancientnloyal wrote:I think we should just stop the gimmicks and messing around and leave our game alone. If a French club want to play at our level they should build up over a number of years and say to their fans and board members that they have a plan to get them to SL, it will take time and patience but if they are good enough on and off the pitch, they have a right to challenge for a license/promotion.

No legacy was left after Cardiff and no legacy will be left after Edinburgh... in 5 years time nobody in Edinburgh or surrounding areas will give two hoots about rugby league, if not already (those who dont follow already).

Exactly my sentiments,i could not agree more.
Stop the extra unfair game's. The profits are minimal to the RFL. The games are unfair... Huddersfield v Wigan (quality teams) warrington v Salford... speaks volumes and skews league tables.

I went to Magic to support Wigan not to mingle.
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

I went to support wigan and to mingle, met some great people, even a guy with salford, hull and wigan shirt on as he lived at all for periods of time haha. some great people where we were sat, had a good chat between games and never seen any bother, all in all a great weekend and will be considering it again next year depending where it is
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

highland convert wrote:That is two magic weekends I have attended. You would be surprised how many attend from locally. A lot of the problem again this year was down to marketng. It did not help tha the Edinburgh derby game Hearts v Hibs was on the Saturday. Again as anyone who was there will testify it was bitter cold which would keep the majority of "lets give it a try" away. The 15 mins between the games was also too short, You had the option of watch the game or wander the other activities. There was no other way it could be combined. Endinburgh through the lotians and central Scotland has a high number of expat English. We appriciate the chance to see the games live. You might fill the house at Manchester but still defeat the object. What will happen when Sky demands a Scottish team, A south west team or another french team in the sixteen Some existing SL will be given the order of the boot. There is an attractive viewing specticle in RL but it needs more local content to enable it to spread. Had Edinburgh Saints v CL side been added to make it 4+4 rather than 4+3 it would have given a local imput and possibly boosted numbers.
Jim
Of course you like it Jim and I would too as a Rugby League fan living so far away from the action. When you say we'd be surprised by the number of locals attending, how many are we talking about really, and how many of those are fans like yourself who are already converted league fans but like the opportunity to go to a game? My issue is not about having Rugby League played in Edinburgh, far from it, but wouldn't there be as many locals there if they played one derby game and a game involving a local club at a smaller venue. 7 games is overkill for most fans I know to watch over 2 days without adding another as you suggest and expecting none-fans to enjoy it. If I started watching a new sport, even if it seemed fresh and exciting at first, after watching 4 games in a row I'd probably never want to see the sport again, particularly as for most of them you'd be watching as a neutral, learning the rules, not knowing the players etc. etc. One derby and the local game could be in Edinburgh, one in Cardiff, perhaps one in Birmingham or whatever and they'd be able to use the conference sides as the local team. Doing this for a season with heavy marketing in each of the cities would give an impression of local interest and potential targets for expansion in future. Would seriously like to know how many Scottish non league fans you thought attended (particularly those who did the full weekend as you did)
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

My main objection to the fixtures is the fact that is an extra game. Wigan had a hard game, Wire had an easy game. IF it continues it IMO should not be an extra game, just whatever fixture falls on the bank holday weekend, and bring the play offs forward a week.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

gpartin wrote:If the games were derbies this year the crowds would still have been down. I believe most fans would love to have a weekend where they can watch 7 games but the main problem for most, myself included, is the fact that it costs more than a week abroad. By trying to appeal to fans in a different area which they don't, they make it impossible for many who love the game. Who'd pay to watch 7 games of an alien sport? In manchester this would sell out and be the most talked about event in league imo.
Very valid point GP.
The derby atmosphere makes supporters of the game want to watch their team beat their nearest rival, so will try to make the sacrifice and effort to go.
The derby atmosphere both on the pitch and in the fan base is an attraction in any sport.
As you say Manchester would be a much better attendance venue, but the RFL are trying to advertise the game away from the hot bed.