Newton - Man of steel

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Warrior Wills

Newton - Man of steel

Post by Warrior Wills »

Living in Lowton, I have to put up with all the cr*p from Leigh fans about Wigan this, that, ant t'other !

Last night for example, they were spouting off about Terry Newton.

He would be a world class player if he wasn't so dirty, teams target him to try and get him to react, and he is a cheap shot merchant etc ...........

Personally I think Newton along with Farrell have been by far Wigan's best players this year, if not super leagues!!!

Lets face it' if McGuire and Farrell wouldn't of had such good seasons Newton would be man of steel by a mile.

Fraggle - Please ignore dialect / poor grammar, liquid lunch !!! :slee:
Fraggle

Re: Newton - Man of steel

Post by Fraggle »

Warrior Wills posted:
Fraggle - Please ignore dialect / poor grammar, liquid lunch !!! :slee:
I don't make any comments about spelling, grammar etc for posts on sensible subjects like this, I only pick on daft posts "discussing" things like whether Bob Beswick is really called George :sly:
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Warrior Wills posted:
Living in Lowton, I have to put up with all the cr*p from Leigh fans about Wigan this, that, ant t'other !

Last night for example, they were spouting off about Terry Newton.

He would be a world class player if he wasn't so dirty, teams target him to try and get him to react, and he is a cheap shot merchant etc ...........

Personally I think Newton along with Farrell have been by far Wigan's best players this year, if not super leagues!!!

Lets face it' if McGuire and Farrell wouldn't of had such good seasons Newton would be man of steel by a mile.
Not just this year, but last year as well when he insisted on playing despite carrying a bad injury. Other teams just pick up the stupid part of his play, which I think Wigan have reduced since his time at Leeds, but ignore the fact his support play in particular is superb. You could argue forever about whether he is better than Kieron Chubbyngham or not, personally I think KC is better running from dummy half, Lowes had superb vision from the PTB especially close to the line whilst Newton's best skill is definitely his support play, and we're at our best with players in support keeping the ball alive. He generally tackles well, although a bit too enthusiastically at times, but certainly he has played a huge part in our team in recent times with some superb passes and some good vision like the intercept last Friday. We will miss him against Leeds, it would have been a good opportunity to put Diskin in his place by playing him off the park.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Warrior Wills

Post by Warrior Wills »

Sorry Fraggle, I was being only being sarcastic.

I wouldn't be mean to a fellow Why don't you fan!
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Fraggle, we like Terry Newton in this house as we say he puts the mongrel in Wigan and lets be honest you need a couple of players like that in any team, no prizes for guessing why we like Danny Sculthorpe as well :)
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Well said, Ian. I do wish he'd pick his moments a bit better though...not on the 5th tackle when we've got the opposition penned in their own 20. Timing, as they say, is everything...
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Fraggle, I agree with your summation of Cunningham and Newton, although Cunningham seems to have lost his 'cunning' and become more of a 'ham.' His power over the line is now more of a flop using his weight.

I think that Newton would stand a greater chance of Man of Steel if he learned to control his anger/frustration. A bit of a to-do in the centre of the park is sometimes what you need to get the team going but as Geoff said he needs to pick his moment better than on the 5th tackle 20m from the line.

On the other hand, if you took away Newton's agression (as we've discussed before about Danny Sculthorpe) then you wouldn't have the same player with such a great will to succeed.

All in all I'd say he's had a great season but not good enough to pip Faz.