Is Danny Brough the next Danny Orr?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Matthew

Is Danny Brough the next Danny Orr?

Post by Matthew »

After watching the giants complete annihilation at the hands of wire on Saturday and considering how he played for the giants against us; I have been wondering if the same will happen to Brough at the giants as happened to Orr at Wigan.

There is no doubt that they both were/are talented players; however they have both come from teams that have performed above their level (largely down to them) and they have both essentially been the best player in their respective teams.

When Orr was at Cas; he was their best player by a mile and looked very good. When he came to Wigan he never settled into the team. Whilst he had a couple of stand out performances (especially just before he left); he was largely a great disappointment.

Since Brough moved to the giants; he has yet to have a really good performance for them - he was awful against wire on Saturday and almost anonymous against us at the Magic.

Could it be that he like Orr; he only plays at his best when he is the stand out player and the centre of attention in the team? He then finds it harder when he is in a team that contains several quality players and he doesn't get to run the show?

I fully expect a reaction from the giants against us this week (especially considering all the fuss that was made about the Lockers hit); but long term, I wonder if Brough will be the player that the giants expected when they signed him?
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Is Danny Brough the next Danny Orr?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I would liken him more to lee briers. On his day he is as good as anyone, but rarley finds consistant form and goes into a downward spiral if things go wrong. He cant seem to raise his team if they are starring down the barrell.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I would liken him more to lee briers. On his day he is as good as anyone, but rarley finds consistant form and goes into a downward spiral if things go wrong. He cant seem to raise his team if they are starring down the barrell.
Likening anyone to Lee Briers is completely out of order! :D
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Pale_Snail

Post by Pale_Snail »

Dislike Brough alot. There's something about him I hate but I don't quite know what it is.
Mikey800

Post by Mikey800 »

Average players can look good in a poor side, and then get found out when asked to play at a high level or are surrounded by quality players. He is a good superleague player and nothing more. Danny Orr looked good in a poor side too

TBH though, most Giants players looked poor against Wire
"Well, it seemed like a good idea" he said, as the paramedics slowly lifted him into the waiting ambulance
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

I think Danny Orr was very unlucky to have that waste of space Moran at the side off him at 7.I think Orr proved how good a player he is when he got a good 7 in Dobson at the side of him.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

gillysmyhero wrote:I think Danny Orr was very unlucky to have that waste of space Moran at the side off him at 7.I think Orr proved how good a player he is when he got a good 7 in Dobson at the side of him.
I agree. As to Brough he's a very dangerous player but I wonder if he has ever played under a coach like Brown who I assume is as demanding as Maquire is at Wigan?

I would think he was pretty much left to his own devices at his previous clubs but may find it hard to fit into a more structured environment. By that I don't think Brown would stop any off the cuff stuff but he will have still been explaining exactly what is expected and Brough might not be used to that.

Dave
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:
gillysmyhero wrote:I think Danny Orr was very unlucky to have that waste of space Moran at the side off him at 7.I think Orr proved how good a player he is when he got a good 7 in Dobson at the side of him.
I agree. As to Brough he's a very dangerous player but I wonder if he has ever played under a coach like Brown who I assume is as demanding as Maquire is at Wigan?

I would think he was pretty much left to his own devices at his previous clubs but may find it hard to fit into a more structured environment. By that I don't think Brown would stop any off the cuff stuff but he will have still been explaining exactly what is expected and Brough might not be used to that.

Dave
I totally agree with what you are saying here Dave.
Nathen Brown has the attitude of an NRL coach with the training methods that goes with it.
This is fine in a squad of players capable of meeting those requirements.
In Auatralia, players from school age are brought up with this demanding routine, however, in Superleague it must be a shock to the players system.
Maybe Nathen Brown is expecting too much from players not capable of meeting those physical demands.

My concern for the Wigan squad, is that it does not burn out and go stale before the season ends.
A top athlete usually only peaks once in one season, and trains to peak at the big race meeting stage.
I hope Madge is doing the same for Wigan.