Nathan Brown announces return to Australia

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Nathan Brown announces return to Australia

Post by josie andrews »

FORMER St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown is returning home from England at the end of the season and will look for a job in the NRL.

Brown has announced he will cut short his stint with Huddersfield a year early to return to Australia for family reasons. The 36-year-old, who was the Super League coach of the year in 2009, has been linked with Cronulla and South Sydney but insists he has nothing lined up.

But with St Helens mentor Michael Potter also coming home at the end of the season the pressure will increase on coaches in charge of underperforming NRL teams.

There is also speculation in England that Leeds two-times premiership winning coach Brian McLennan of New Zealand could also return home at the end of the season and seek a job in the NRL.

"It's purely a family decision that I have had to make to go home at the end of this year," Brown told a press conference. "Despite what's been written by some, I don't have a job to go to nor have I even spoken to anyone back home about employment. This decision is not about my professional life, it's about my family's life. To say I have enjoyed my time here – and will continue to do so – is an understatement.

"It's been great for us but I just have to make this decision now for the benefit of everyone as the continued and relentless media speculation has been good for no one. I will continue to give my absolute best to the club in every aspect of the job until the year-end and assist them in going forward in the future in any way I can. Wherever I end up, I will always look for the Giants results in the UK and be rooting for them."

Brown, who was the youngest coach in the NRL when he took over at St George Illawarra in 2003, enjoyed instant success after being chosen to succeed Jon Sharp at Huddersfield. He guided the Giants to a best-ever third-place finish in the Super League at the first attempt and last August took them to their first Wembley appearance for 47 years.

The Giants chairman, Ken Davy, admitted that the uncertainty over Brown's future, along with news of Brett Hodgson's move to Warrington in 2011 following Huddersfield's refusal to give the captain a two-year contract, has had an unsettling effect on the team.

"Of course we are very disappointed to receive Nathan's resignation at the year-end, particularly as he has a year to run on his contract," he said. "We had read, like everyone, the speculation floating around and Nathan has always been totally honest and upfront with us that he wished to return in due course to the NRL.

"Personal circumstances have meant that this has come a year sooner than either of us would have predicted or wanted. However, there is no doubt that this has been an unsettling period for all concerned and, now that the uncertainty is cleared up, we can all knuckle down to the immediate job in hand which is bringing success to the Huddersfield Giants. I know that Nathan will do all he can to ensure that he goes out on a high."

Today's announcement means that at least three Super League clubs will be looking for new coaches for 2011. Along with Brown and Mick Potter Steve McNamara is departing Bradford to take up a full-time role as England's head coach.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... -uvgc.html

I wondered whether it was this & Brett Hodgsons move to Wire, as the reason that has caused such unrest in the Giants camp??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
GeoffN

Re: Nathan Brown announces return to Australia

Post by GeoffN »

josie andrews wrote:
I wondered whether it was this & Brett Hodgsons move to Wire, as the reason that has caused such unrest in the Giants camp??
Possibly. There's also the rape allegations still hanging over them. Rumours of quite a few other players possibly looking to leave, as well.

Paul Anderson seems favourite to take over, it seems.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

A little sad really as he is a talented bloke who as done wonders for an also ran team to a team that with a good fan base and a little more money could have been knocking on the door. :D
Pale_Snail

Post by Pale_Snail »

Sad news, he's a great coach and seems like a decent guy.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Pale_Snail wrote:Sad news, he's a great coach and seems like a decent guy.
Apart from inciting his players to violenceon the pitch and bringing the game into disrepute with stupid comments, defaming Lockers who was not high on Shorty Robinson.

I thought he was going because his kids were due to start school later this year?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09