In, Out, Shake It All About!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Del Boy

In, Out, Shake It All About!

Post by Del Boy »

:exc:
Reading through previous posts it seems we are all puzzled by who and people are leaving and joining the Warriors. It would be quite interesting to know the criteria the club uses when decided to sign, retain and release players. All we seem to get is the year after year "meet the salary cap" story.

Where does all the money go?

Also it seems that Mike Gregory's position is to be decided shortly. Is it just that I'm suspicious or has a new guy been sounded out and indicated which players he would like for next year?

Del Boy
robjoenz

Re: In, Out, Shake It All Abou...

Post by robjoenz »

Most likely that Betts with Lam as his assistant will be in charge next season. I've been told it should be announced next week, not sure on the reliability of my source though.

I don't think there is any criteria to meet when player leave and join the club, I think Lindsay thinks Wigan RLFC is some kind of board game. He sees someone that takes his fancy (do we not have proper Scouts or is it just him on his jollies in Oz?) and throws a wedge their way. If the offer is similar to what they are currently on it will require some negotiation, if he doubles their current wage they'll snap his hand off and sign whatever he asks them to.

In the days when money didn't matter he paid players what they wanted and made Wigan the best and everyone wanted to play for them. These days his over generousity is causing our downfall and more and more clubs are attracting top players because they distribute their wage pot more evenly; all credit to the salary cap, time we took a different approach with somebody else. Lindsay has taken us as far as he can in my opinion.
MrsLam

Re: In, Out, Shake It All ...

Post by MrsLam »

I've been told it should be announced next week, not sure on the reliability of my source though.
Apparently they're all meeting in the next 10 days so it's likely that it will be announced some time next week.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Fraggle

Re: In, Out, Shake It All Abou...

Post by Fraggle »

Del Boy posted:
Also it seems that Mike Gregory's position is to be decided shortly. Is it just that I'm suspicious or has a new guy been sounded out and indicated which players he would like for next year?

Del Boy
There's only one person who decides who comes to Wigan, although Chairman Mo sometimes seems to think he is the coach. If someone new is coming in they won't have any influence on the players being brought in. A bit different to the Widnes situation, I wonder how many of their new signings are managed by Happy Frank (not that I blame them or him for that).
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
robjoenz

Re: In, Out, Shake It All ...

Post by robjoenz »

I was wondering this about Frank Endecott... surely there is a conflict of interests with him being a players agent as well coaching? If a better deal came along for a Widnes player on his books it would be in his interests to let the player move to increase his own wages at the potential disadvantage to Widnes?